Sharp tv - how to adjust aspect ratio?

CM1960 12:56 25 Apr 2014

I have a 20" Sharp LC-20SH1E, 8 yrs old. All fine until i got this new BT 'youview' box, (the black one to replace the old silver one which is soon to be obsolete.) Now the picture is elongated - stretched up/down. Everyone is 7' tall! BT say that i need to adjust the aspect ratio on my tv. But nowhere on all the buttons, or in the manual, is there any mention of how to do this. Help please?

Secret-Squirrel 20:06 25 Apr 2014

It sounds like the YouView box is outputting a widescreen image, and because your TV's has an aspect ratio of 4:3, everything looks stretched vertically.

I've had a look at the manual for TV too but there don't appear to be any options for selecting the aspect ratio. I've also looked at the YouView box manual expecting to see the same sort of options I get on my Sky Box such as 16:9, 4:3, 4:3 letterbox, etc. The last two are the ones relevant to your setup. I can't unfortunately find the same settings for your YouView box. Have a good look yourself and hopefully you'll find there is indeed a way to change the box's aspect ratio to 4:3.

Good luck.

Secret-Squirrel 10:31 26 Apr 2014

ßeta, the latest model is called the "BT YouView box" and here's the manual for it. Unfortunately there's no mention of how one can change the aspect ratio :(

CM1960 11:14 26 Apr 2014

thank you Secret Squirrel. There just doesn't seem to be any options for it does there? Been round and round in circles for hours with the damn thing. Much preferred my old Vision box :(

CM1960 14:19 26 Apr 2014

i'm starting to wish i wasn't!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?