Setting up tv and dvd player

alan227 16:21 28 Oct 2005

My brother in law won a dvd player in a raffle and could not set it up (there was no scart lead with it) so I went and purchased a scart lead and plugged it in and powered up the dvd and nothing. The tv is a goodmans, in the on screen menu I noticed AV was off so I enabled that still nothing.
So I used the auto tuner for the channels while a dvd was playing hoping that would pick it up, although as it is done through the aerial connection I did not hold out much hope of that working.
Can anyone suggest how to get it working.

DieSse 16:43 28 Oct 2005

You've also got to select the AV input on the TV control - sometimes called the external or AV input. The button is normally a TV screen shape with a small arrow going into it from the side.

This is not the same as tuning - no tuning is required for AV inputs (as they don't go through the tuner!) - just find the correct button to select it (or them). Sometimes, if the TV has more than one AV input, repeated pressing of the button will cycle through the various inputs.

In in doubt - read the manual!

alan227 16:52 28 Oct 2005

In the on screen menu for the TV I selected AV on then after exiting the menu and pressing the AV button on the remote control the symbol you mentioned came up in the top right hand corner of the screen but no picture, although I had a dvd in and running.
The set up manual just says connect it up via the diagram and switch on.
IT shows three pictures, one to connect the scart lead, and two others about sound connection and s video.
So what have I missed.
My own DVD player was just connected and worked.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:44 28 Oct 2005

How many scart sockets on TV?

Some have in and out try the other socket same on player uf more than one.

alan227 18:54 28 Oct 2005

Theur is only one scart connection on the back of the TV.

DieSse 20:43 28 Oct 2005

Make sure the SCART cable is pushed fully in at each end - sometimes they're quite difficult to push home fully.

Turn the SCARET cable round, end-to-end

Try another SCART cable

Try the DVD on another system

Look in the DVD manual to see if there is a set up for using the SCART output rather than some of the other outputs

Fellsider 14:05 16 Nov 2005

The scart lead that you bought.

Is it a full 21 pin connected lead? (i.e. are there 21 pins in each socket) some leads only have a basic number of pins connected.

alternatives:-

Try a different scart lead.

Try the dvd player on a different TV

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone