Set Top Box To Start a VCR?

David4637 13:29 10 May 2007

My Thomson DTI 1000 Set Top Box (STB) starts a recording session on my Sony VCR via the Line 1 scart lead.

I now want to swap the Sony VCR with a Mitsubishi HS541 VCR (say 5 yrs old), which also has 2 scart leads. I have tried connecting the scart in Line 1 then Line 2, but this VCR won’t start up.

NOTE: I can program a digital program direct into the VCR and it works OK, but I want the STB to start this VCR and it does not.

Should a 2 scart Mitsubishi VCR be able to be started by the STB, if so how ?
Any help gratefully welcomed.
Thanks David

setecio 22:42 10 May 2007

I would think that that feature would have to be part of the video and that some models come with it (the Sony) and some don't. It sounds like any other feature that either exists or doesn't on the VCR.

David4637 14:32 11 May 2007

setecio - thanks for your reply. I don't know whether the STB start up to the VCR is built in to the VCR or not, hence the query asking if anyone has a way of finding out whether the VCR can be started from an external soure - STB?
Thanks David

postie24 15:11 11 May 2007

Can you not just use the onboard timer of the vcr?

setecio 16:42 11 May 2007

The VCR would have to be able to receive a command for it to turn on, and this would be a feature of the VCR, if it didn't have that ability the STB could send a turn on signal until the cows come home but the VCR wouldn't recognise or do anything with it.

postie24 17:54 11 May 2007

You set the vcr to record from line 1 or 2 depending which scart input the STB is connected to,wouldnt that work?
As long as the STB is set to the correct channel that is

David4637 13:06 12 May 2007

Will try again to set the VCR to Line 1 or 2, to see whether the STB will start it? Thanks for ALL replies. Thanks David

David4637 13:18 13 May 2007

No joy postie and others - does any one know how to check whether this VCR will turn on using the STB to start it recording? Thanks David

setecio 14:19 13 May 2007

Your video has to be compatible with 'scart link recoring' - check the manual
or try one of these :

click here

rodriguez 14:23 13 May 2007

On the Panasonic one downstairs in my house it has a feature called External Link that allows the Sky box to start the recorder taping when you use the box's AutoView feature. The Toshiba one upstairs doesn't have any feature to record from a Scart command using Sky's AutoView feature.

David4637 18:33 14 May 2007

Thanks for your replies, it looks like the VCR can't be switched on by the STB. I will look into the device that will turn on a VCR that setecio suggests.
Any other offers please?
Thanks again David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires