SD Memory Card

Bapou 19:40 21 Oct 2008

I'm your average point and click cameraman, using my compact Nikon S3 (two years old), mainly for holiday snaps.

The camera came with a 256mb SD (DaneElec) card, which is sometimes limited unless I reduce the quality.

Thursday, Aldi are offering a 4gb SD card,click here for £8.99. Price suits me fine but is the card compatible? I'm not conversant enough, anyone help me on this please?

oresome 19:54 21 Oct 2008

I'd have a read of the instruction manual. Some cameras are only able to format memory cards upto a certain size and 4Gb cards may not have been available when the camera was designed.

Bapou 10:24 22 Oct 2008

Thanks oresome, will check it out. Age of camera came into consideration after trying to understand a feature on SD cards compatibility on Wikipedia.

Must admit the price is rather tempting to try it out. It's only money!!

Bapou 10:50 22 Oct 2008

Sound advice oresome. Checked the manual and this model has only tested up to 1gb SD memory card as acceptable.

No point in wasting the money after all.

Thanks again.

Stuartli 20:07 22 Oct 2008

Just been looking at your Nikon Coolpix S3 and its specifications - beautiful design.

Might be worth temporarily trying a 2GB SD card if you can borrow one.

Bapou 22:43 22 Oct 2008

Cheers Stuartli, worth a try.

lofty29 12:43 27 Oct 2008

Bapou
Morrison are selling all sizes very cheap at the moment

anchor 15:24 27 Oct 2008

lofty29: Yes I got one last week at a very good price, but my local store in Hatch End, Middlesex, has run out.

oresome 15:59 27 Oct 2008

Following Bapou's comments, I looked at cards for my camera and I face similar difficulties.

Many of the cards (CF) now available are of a larger capacity than the camera was designed to take.

My camera also accepts XD cards and these now have a type letter. Some of these, even within the allowable capacity give restricted features with the camera according to the Fuji compatability chart.

It could be that the camera eventually becomes obsolete through non-availablity of suitable memory cards!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone