SD card transfer to computer

shellship 18:04 25 Apr 2009

I successfully transfer pictures from my own camera's SD card to my computer by putting the card into a USB reader. I wished to transfer one from a friend's SD card into my machine but although the reader indicates that it has recognised the card the appropriate "drive" in My Computer shows nothing there. Could this be because I do not have his camera's software on my machine? Don't see why this should make a difference, though.

natdoor 19:05 25 Apr 2009

Absence of the software for the camera has no relevance to reading files from an SD card. It is possible that your friend's card is High Definition (greater than 2GB capacity) and that your card reader cannot accept these.

jack 19:10 25 Apr 2009

Is nothing there the computer can read,
Nothing to do with Camera software by the way.
This should be left in the box and not installed.
So why will your computer not read the card?
Several possibilities.
What file format did your friend use?[JPEG.BITMAP.TIFF etc.
Find out.
Download these free programs.
1. Irfanview.-
a universal graphic movie and music reader.

2. PC inspector
A file recovery utility.
Try these then come back

shellship 12:44 26 Apr 2009

Thanks. Sorry for delay, golf got in the way. Glad you can confirm no need to instal camera's software. Tried again with wife's Belkin card reader - bingo, all OK, even though it took my computer ages to recognise it, perhaps because I have an unpowered USB extension.

Will mark as resolved.

jamesd1981 20:55 03 May 2009

i have had a similar experience with memory cards and found that if the card hasnt been formated and named it looks in my computer section like its not their but if you click all your removable drives it should be there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?