satellite tv to pc

Picklefactory 21:03 16 Dec 2008

OK, this is my first post in this forum, and it might be a bit daft, so no sniggering please ;-(

Right, I sacked Sky some time ago in favour of Virgin cable, no probs there and very happy. Now, I kept my Sky dish and box, which are currently being used as limited freeview in my son's bedroom (Not many free channels on Sky) and I have no intention of new Sky contract. My question is, are there any other options for using my dish and maybe plugging it into pc to obtain non-Sky services, can I do anything with it other than what I am currently doing? Is it capable of more?
Ever so ta

wiz-king 17:16 17 Dec 2008

Get a freesat box and get all the digital services?
Don't know anything about digital PC tuners except for amateur radio.

Picklefactory 19:05 17 Dec 2008

I have a freeview box already, thanks. But I just want to know if I can do anything with this dish, as it is stuck to my house already and I'd like to get whatever I can from it.
Ta

Jim_F 22:09 18 Dec 2008

This guide shows what the dish should see and I can get these channels on my free to air satellite receiver - I'm not sure if the Sky box blocks these but its worth a try. The dish and LNB are generic but the Sky 'smart' card used to be required even for FTA.

Jim_F 22:11 18 Dec 2008

BTW you'd need a video capture card to display on the PC. Here is the link I forgot to post: click here

Picklefactory 10:19 19 Dec 2008

Thanks, that looks interesting. I do get a certain amount of free channels through the Sky box already. All the BBC and ITV and a few others. If I could get a good few more via Freesat box, then I'll happily just leave it plugged into my sons TV and not bother with pc, that was only a thought in case it would have been beneficial. I'll check out more on the freesat.
Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?