Reliability of LCD TV?

pomphrey 10:11 19 Aug 2009

I am ready to buy a 37 Panasonic LCD TV and I can buy from Dixons with 1yr guarantee at good price,or a local retailer with 5yr guarantee at a much higher price. I am concerned about reliability and loss of pixels?

oresome 17:13 19 Aug 2009

My own unsubstantiated view is that LCD tvs, particularly up to 37" should be inherently reliable.

I'd be less inclined to take a risk with a plasma tv and would probably buy from John Lewis or similar with a 'free' 5 year guarantee.

Stuartli 23:56 19 Aug 2009

Buy from the local retailer and get the proper five year Panasonic warranty - it's worth around £200 on its own.

Haggle a bit and you could well get the warranty thrown in; the decent independent retailers often join up with manufacturers such as Panasonic, Sony, LG and similar marques to offer extra incentives.

Here's an example from my area:

click here

The warranty is included in this case and extras for £99, including dish installation.

Sometimes the warranty and the £99 package are thrown in for the cost of the TV.

Stuartli 00:01 20 Aug 2009

You are thinking of buying a top brand, highly respected manufacturer's LCD TV, so reliability is pretty much a "given".

It's the cheap, often no name or unknown name brands which should be avoided...:-)

pomphrey 23:27 21 Aug 2009

Thanks everyone for your comments I have decided to buy from Dixons at the best price and 1yr guarantee and hope for the best. I could not get a price match with 5yrs.

Stuartli 23:51 21 Aug 2009

Your choice.......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone