Reducing image file size.

alpha44 09:11 24 Aug 2006

I have some tiff/jpeg images saved on cd and Photoshop Elements 3.0, about 100mb each and would like to reduce the file size to put in my family tree programme.I don't have access to the original photos so am unable to rescan them. Could anyone tell me how reduce them?

jack 09:31 24 Aug 2006

Any image editing program will allow resizing.
As you mentioned you have them 'saved in Photoshop elements' I assume you have not quite grasped what actually happens here.
The images are saved in a folder on the drive. Usually by default in 'My Pictures' or a folder the image editor has set up..
However simply open the editor- open the image you wish to reduce-
Go to the top tool bar and click on Image
[These are general instructions for most editors - 'elements should be the same] and click on re-size in the drop down menu- here you can selected the reduction method by percentage or to actual pixel dimension- click on save as and give the image a new name. this will preserve the original[just in case] and allow you to direct the new image to any location you have set up

alpha44 10:46 24 Aug 2006

Thanks for your info Jack, just what i'm looking for. There are about 45 images, is it possible to do this by using "select all" as a batch ? I haven't had much time to use Elements as its fairly new to me.

jack 11:59 24 Aug 2006

Yes batch resizing is possible in most editors
Cant be specific about 'Elements' don't have it - but imagine so if you look around
or you can download a free program such as Irfanview
[just Google for it]
Simply download it and get all the plug ins
Play around with it a while before getting serious.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?