Recording / editing from PVR to PC

setecio 23:37 26 Jul 2007

Can I simply link my PVR to the PC by s-video & phono, and then record footage on Windows Movie maker and edit it? If so what format will it record in, or do I need other software ?

irishrapter 14:25 29 Jul 2007

Not the best way to do it but yes it could be done.
What make of PVR do you have?
If it has an Ethernet connection or wireless then the best way would be to download the footage from the PVR and convert or edit it on the PC.

holme 11:27 30 Jul 2007

If you're able to download the footage direct from the PVR (as a *digital* file), you'll probably still need to convert it to a format which Movie Maker will accept. I think the choice is AVI, MPEG(2) and WMV, but whether a codec is available depends on the format of files from your PVR.

Alternatively, capturing an *analogue* file via S-video and phono is generally a very satisfactory alternative, provided Movie Maker will recognise the S-video input (I presume you've got that on a digitiser or, alternatively, an AUX input to a TV card).

As for format, when you set up Movie Maker before starting to record, the default setting in the Video Setting page is "Best quality for playback on my computer (recommended)". However, that's a rather low-res setting (320x240 pixels at 25fps). You can improve on that considerably by selecting "Other settings", opening the adjacent menu and then pre-selecting "High quality video (large)" which is much better (640x480 pixels at 30fps), although the resultant file size (in WMV format) will of course be very much larger.

Once you've done your editing in Movie Maker, it's possible to record the result onto DVD using third-party DVD-burning software such as Nero. However, this will first need to convert the file from WMV to MPEG2, and resolution to 720x576 pixels at 25fps, which takes a *long* time and lots of number-crunching! HTH.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?