Recording from digital TV to analogue dvd recorder

Twinklegilly 09:38 10 Mar 2008

I have a digital tv connected to my analogue dvd recorder but seem to only be able to tune the dvd recorder to the analogue programmes.

Is this all I will be able to do as it is not a digital dvd recorder?

Does anyone know the way around this?

natdoor 10:03 10 Mar 2008

I am no expert but Ibelieve the following to be correct.
I assume that your DVD recorder has an analogue tuner. Does it have any A/V input facilities such as Scart? If it does, and your TV has A/V outputs, you should be able to connect the TV to the recorder via A/V and record. If your TV does not have A/V outputs but the recorder has inputs, you could get a cheap freeview box and use that to record digital programmes from.

Pamy 10:53 10 Mar 2008

Also you will only be able to record the digital program you are watching and you have to set the vidoe to AV1 or AV2

Stuartli 13:56 10 Mar 2008

If I use a Freeview set top box to record a programme to my video cassette recorder, I have to select one of the old satellite recording channels (L1 or L2) on the VCR to enable recordings to be made.

All the Freeview set top box does is to convert the digital transmissions back to analogue so that programmes can (more normally) be watched on an analogue television.

You may need to experiment with the channels on your analogue DVD recorder to find one that is suitable - searching through them with the feed from the digital TV should help.

lofty29 13:59 10 Mar 2008

I have an analogue DVD recorder coupled to a cheap freeview box via scart and it works fine, and I can watch one channel whilst recording another, I think that is your best route

anchor 15:03 10 Mar 2008

I have a HDD/DVD recorder that has both digital and analogue tuners; so no problem.

I also have an older VHS recorder with only an analogue tuner.

If I wish to record a Freeview channel, I do exactly the same as described by Stuartli & lofty29; connect it to an inexpensive Freeview set-top box via a scart cable. The VHS recorder is set to record from the appropriate AV-In socket. Works fine!.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?