Recording cable TV on VCR

sikefula 12:39 03 Apr 2007

Hi folks,

Have tried and failed! How do you record a programme you are watching on Telewest cable TV using the good old VCR?

My connections seems to be fine! I can play VHS videos ok,hit the stop button on VCR and automatically switches back to cable telly. However,trying to record the programme I am watching gives back a blank screen,nothing been recorded,nothing!

Where I am getting it wrong?

I have followed the settings and connections as shown here:

click here

click here

Thanks...

Stuartli 17:20 03 Apr 2007

It may be your selection of channel on which to record.

I have a 14-year-old Mitsubishi H58 Nicam stereo VCR on which I record the occasional Freeview programme from a Pioneer set top box.

However, I have to choose the L1 channel for such recordings (its original purpose was for recording satellite TV transmissions).

oresome 18:34 03 Apr 2007

Make sure you are using scart cables with all pins connected.

megat193 11:22 16 Apr 2007

Make sure that your VCR is recording from the correct AV source. This can be named L1 (as above) Ext1, AV1 or 2 etc. It really is a matter of trial and error. An old recommendation was to have your Telewest box on channel 120 (Sky One), but, of course that is now gone. Try Sci-Fi or some other channel that you know is coming from the cable box and not the terrestial aerial.

sidandlil 20:11 22 Apr 2007

all the above are correct,cheap scart leads are usually one way only and my mitsubishi and sanyo both have AV1/2 or L1/2., the only other thing that may be a cause is that some video recorders have two scart sockets and one of them is "out" only. if you have two try using the other one. my older telewest cable box also had a tv out socket on the back and you could even use that , all you had to do was tune the video to the signal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?