Quality VCR, reccomend (and don't snigger)

myfoot 13:54 23 Apr 2007

Don't watch a lot of TV, but very ocassionaly would like to record a program when I'm out. Have a very basic LG VCR recorder that a friend gave me, ( she didn't want money as she said it was iffy) No only is it iffy but the recording quality is splodge Seem to think that the human eye can only see about 6 colours and detail is only for scientists. Was looking at some cheap combo vcr/dvd recorders on Ebay, but even that is is might be overkill for the amount of use it would get. So basically good quality recording,and good life expectancy.

How often can a DVD+/-RW discs be used? ( Maybe quality DVDR's are woth considering) Thanks

Stuartli 15:45 23 Apr 2007

>>Maybe quality DVDR's are woth considering>>

Nothing else should be considered...:-)

They will last for hundreds of recordings.

A basic combination unit is the Funai DBVR6510 DVD and VCR Combi (about £60) or the Samsung DVD-V5600 DVD and VCR Combi (about £80), both from Argos.

Stuartli 15:46 23 Apr 2007

>>So basically good quality recording,and good life expectancy. >>

Not compatible unless you are prepared to splash out a lot more money...:-)

anchor 16:46 23 Apr 2007

From Argos; a Philip's model, so should be of acceptable quality:

click here

My wife has this Samsung model, which includes a DVD player; its very good!.

click here

If you would like to move into the 21st Century consider this HDD recorder. Humax was well reported by other members of this forum;

click here

anchor 16:48 23 Apr 2007

Sorry, the final link for the Humax should have been:

click here

Monoux 17:15 23 Apr 2007

Saw a VCR only machine ( getting very rare) about £35.00 in a Tesco Superstore yesterday

myfoot 17:26 23 Apr 2007

@ Stuartli:>>Maybe quality DVDR's are woth considering>>""They will last for hundreds of recordings." I presume you mean DVD+/-Rw will last 100's of recordings! @ anchor:Currently bidding Ebay on Philips VR550 Nicam VCR,seconhand. I'm very attached to 20th Century and like I said my use would be very occasional. Yeah I like the idea of HDD but would be massive overkill.

oresome 17:37 23 Apr 2007

Have you tried cleaning the head on the existing VCR? It might bring back the quality for little outlay.

Stuartli 18:00 23 Apr 2007

Yes, Most people use DVD-RW or DVD+RAM disks with DVD recorders and use them just as you would a video tape.

Probably the best VCR still pretty widely available is the Panasonic NV-61EBS but it's just under £100, which may be a bit much for you.

Remember, if you buy a VCR, that you will eventually require a Freeview set top box for it when the analogue TV transmissions are turned off.

The STB converts the digital transmissions back to analogue so that they can be recorded on a VCR or viewed on an analogue television set.

MrNerdy 18:38 23 Apr 2007

Sainsbury's seem to do good combi vcr's/dvd.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?