Problem connecting Sony base speaker to Hitachi TV

sallyluna 18:57 18 Jan 2016
Answered

Hi, I appreciate any help anyone can give me, this is the first time I've used a forum like this but I'm truly stumped. Just bought a Sony HT-XT100 base speaker and trying to connect to Hitachi TV. TV has neither HDMI ARC output nor optical cable output so tried analogue audio cables (red and white cables into TV, other black end into speaker). Still nothing. The speaker works with Bluetooth audio playing from my phone so not speaker problem. Trying to hear sound from DVD and Firestick input but nothing. Please help!

Secret-Squirrel 20:01 18 Jan 2016

........so tried analogue audio cables (red and white cables into TV.........

Are you sure you've connected the cables to the TV's audio out and have you selected the "ANALG" input on the Sony?

sallyluna 20:09 18 Jan 2016

I've connected the red and white wire connectors to the red and white side connections on the TV, and then selected 'analogue' on the speaker....

Secret-Squirrel 20:21 18 Jan 2016

I've connected the red and white wire connectors to the red and white side connections on the TV,....

The point I was trying to make was to ensure you've connected it the the audio out on the TV. If you've connected it to the audio in then it'll never work. Are there any other connections on the TV? Check the manual for your TV if need be.

Or, the adapter cable you're using is wrong or faulty in some way. Do you have a way to test it with something else?

sallyluna 20:42 18 Jan 2016

Thanks for your reply. As far as I can tell they are connected to the audio out on the TV. The only connections on the back of my TV are 2xHDMI, SPDIF/Coax.OUT, VGA, ANT, SCART, USB, headphones, then the yellow, white and red side connections. I have the red and white connectors in those then connecting to the analogue in of the speaker. I'm not sure how else to test the cable. Is there maybe an adaptor I could get for the TV to make it HDMI ARC-compatible?

Secret-Squirrel 09:34 19 Jan 2016
Answer

Sally, toejams is correct - those red, white, and yellow phono sockets are inputs - especially when they're on the front or sides for easy access. They're used for connecting things like video cameras etc to the TV.

By all means try connecting a cable from the TV's headphone socket to your home theatre's analogue input but don't be disappointed if the sound is rubbish and distorted. If it is then you can try experimenting with the headphone output volume level (via the TV's onscreen menu).

Is there maybe an adaptor I could get for the TV to make it HDMI ARC-compatible?

Sadly, there isn't :(

The only connections on the back of my TV are.......SPDIF/Coax.OUT...........

There are devices available that convert SPDIF/Coax to optical - here's one. If you don't already have one, you'll also need a SPDIF cable like this one. Your home theater should have come with an optical cable. Amazon have an excellent returns policy so if you find it doesn't work for whatever reason then you should be able to get a full refund easily. Just make sure you return everything neatly in its original packaging.

sallyluna 12:46 19 Jan 2016

Thanks very much for your replies, that's very helpful. I was under the impression the red and white cable would work after reading this. I'm not sure what wire I would use to connect the headphone socket to the speaker, but it sounds like that would produce bad sound anyway, so I'll leave that. I guess I'll look at getting the converter and SPDIF cable you suggest - thanks very much for the links. If I'd known this was all going to be so complicated, I wouldn't have bothered... it's frustrating that it's such a headache just to try and upgrade the sound on my TV.

One last question - if I use the optical converter etc you've suggested, will that mean anything plugged into my TV will use the speaker's sound - i.e. DVD player, Firestick? Many thanks for all your help.

Secret-Squirrel 16:50 19 Jan 2016

I was under the impression the red and white cable would work after reading this.

Those instructions will work if your TV has red and white audio-out phono connectors. Unfortunately your TV only has audio in connectors.

I'm not sure what wire I would use to connect the headphone socket to the speaker......................

Here's what you need although it's probably something you can pick-up in your local pound store or large supermarket.

........if I use the optical converter etc you've suggested, will that mean anything plugged into my TV will use the speaker's sound - i.e. DVD player, Firestick? .........

I think it will. As far as I know, SPDIF outputs the TV's sound regardless of its source.

Like I said previously, providing you buy the converter and SPDIF cable from the Amazon links I provided, if things don't work as expected then simply return them for a full refund. It's worth mentioning that this only applies to items sold by Amazon and not any of their "Marketplace sellers". Just look for the words "Dispatched from and sold by Amazon" underneath the price.

1]: [click here

sallyluna 16:55 19 Jan 2016

Thanks! I've bought the audio jack, converter and SPDIF cable in the hope that some combination of these will work. If not, I'll return everything and never ever buy a base speaker again :)

wee eddie 17:27 19 Jan 2016

Sally: Nothing wrong with Base Speakers, per se. However one needs to do one's research first. There are so many different designs and so many different methods of connection that the possibility of a miss/match is quite high when you buy from different manufacturers.

Sony are particularly well known for marching to the beat of their own drum.

sallyluna 12:59 20 Jan 2016

Using the optical converter and SPDIF cable worked perfectly. I am extremely grateful as I never would have figured this out on my own. I am indebted to you! Thank you so much for your help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?