Problem connecting DVD player to Camcorder

Longsshanks 20:18 27 Aug 2007

Hi Everyone

Bit of a weird one this. I have been video editing/DVD authoring since Charles Dickens was a boy but this has stumped me. We purchased a DVD of our camel ride while on holiday recently. (This is where some geezer follows the camel train with a camcorder and then they capture the footage and bang out the DVD) Got the DVD home and found that it wasn’t compatible with our player. Nothing unusual about that I thought so I tried it on our newer Goodmans portable car DVD player and hey presto it worked. Again, nowt unusual about that. No probs I thought, I’ll put it through the PC and use one of a raft of progs to burn it onto a more user-friendly DVD format (the offending one is +R 16 speed)

Wot I did not legislate for and is unprecedented is that the DVD did not work on the PC and not only that it causes everything to freeze! (my PC is about 7 years old and the CDROM and DVD R/RW drive obviously can’t cope with this media)

I know one can link a DVD player to a DVD recorder and, all other things being equal, (would not be protected) copy to another blank DVD. Unfortunately I don’t possess a DVD recorder but understand that somehow I can link the portable DVD player to the Camcorder and copy that way. Incidentally, I have used my Canon DV Camcorder many times in pass thru mode but this has always been to transfer VHS footage to the PC to subsequently burn onto DVD.

The DVD player has headphone, coaxial, AV in and AV out sockets and there is a cable with the video and audio red, yellow and blue plugs at one end and a jack at the other. I guess my two queries are:

· How do you connect the DVD player to the Camcorder using the cable?
· Once connected do you have to copy the DVD onto a blank DV tape and then capture using the firewire separately, or, can you use the Camcorder as a pass thru as in the VHS scenario?

Sorry to be so long winded in my maiden post but I guess this comes under the heading of interesting project rather than highly complex or technical.

I hope its clear.

Thanks for your patience and time.

Longshanks

holme 20:29 27 Aug 2007

The first thing to determine is whether you can /record/ back onto the camcorder. Only a small proportion of camcorders will do this and, in any event, the signal would have to be in DV format. So I suspect that's going to be a non-starter for you.

However: "... I have used my Canon DV Camcorder many times in pass thru mode but this has always been to transfer VHS footage to the PC ...

I'm not familiar with this arrangement but can you not do the same sort of thing with the portable DV player? That is, connect the DVD player to the camcorder in exactly the same way you (presumably) connected a VCR?

Thence from the camcorder (pass through mode?) to the PC.

Forgive me if this is rubbish; as I say, I'm not familiar with being able to use a camcorder for "pass through". But HTH.

Longsshanks 20:52 27 Aug 2007

Hi

Thanks for this prompt response. In essence the pass thru allows one to use the Camcorder as a signal converter (no tape) so that the VHS footage can then be transferred to PC (capture via firewire using Ulead VS8 software)

When I transfer from VHS the yellow, white and red plugs feed into a scart adaptor at the VHS end and into the headphone socket on the camcorder.The problem is that there is no scart on the Goodmans DVD portable player and the three jacks don't go into any of the four sockets on the player (described above)

Thanks again

holme 21:46 27 Aug 2007

If I read this correctly, you have previously used a 3-way cable with yellow/white/red (phono?) plugs at one end which you plug into a SCART adaptor at the VCR. So far so good?

The yellow is for composite video and the white/red are for stereo audio.

Also from what you say, it sound like that at the camcorder end, the stereo audio lines terminate in a stereo jack which you plug into the headphone socket. But where does the yellow composite video plug fit on the camcorder? Into a phono socket?

You then said "the three jacks don't go into any of the four sockets on the player (described above)"

'fraid I don't understand that as I can't suss out what sort of 'jacks' are on the DVD player. If the (phono?) plugs on the cable don't fit, they must be something else. And why are there four sockets, not three?

Maybe if you could describe the (four) sockets on the player, we can then suss out a suitable connection method. What's the model number of the Goodmans player please? There may be a spec on the net.

Longsshanks 22:39 27 Aug 2007

Hi again

1. I use a scart adaptor (with output enabled). All three cables attach to the scart adaptor and merge into one connector which plugs into the headphone socket. Rightly or wrongly this has allowed this process has allowed the conversion of VHS analog to DVD for the last 5 years or so.
2. The 4 sockets on the DVD player are as described in the original post. Ie phone, coaxial,AV in and AV out.
3. Goodmans GDVD67W5LCDK

Hope this helps

L

holme 13:13 28 Aug 2007

I'm afraid we can't find any details of the GDVD67W5LCDK on the net. Not to worry.

My colleague apologises for mis-reading your posting about the sockets on the DVD player. As I see it, the only thing to suss out now is what sort of socket is the AV OUT on the player. If it's not SCART, and the phono plugs on the cable won't fit, can you add any more info?

Could they be one or more jack sockets? Does the user-guide give any clues on what type? HTH.

I must confess I don't understand how a /video/ and two stereo lines can be merged to plug into
the camcorder's headphone socket. I've never come across that before. Clever stuff! :-)

Longsshanks 17:51 28 Aug 2007

Hi The 4 sockets on the DVD player are idntical in size (female round holes)and ironically would all fit the single pug that normally goes into the Camcorder.There is no scart connector on the DVD at all (save a small one at the back where you fit the rechargaeable battery)

I could try plugging the single plug into the AV out and running the phonos to the Camcorder which is the reverse of the norm. The thing is that there is only a red and yellow socket on the Camcorder-the red is marked Mic and the yellow AV with the headphone symbol (it is the latter that I use when connecting the VHS to the camcorder)

I am not surprised that you didn't find owt on the t'internet. I couldn't either. I looked at the Goodmans site and can't find anything there either which is surprising since I only bought it a year ago. I have sent them an e-mail but no reply so far.

Believe it or not there was no user manual with the DVD cos it was so bleeding obvious. Their website refers to downloading manuals so I may get it from there.

Thanks for your help.

L

holme 18:49 28 Aug 2007

"The 4 sockets on the DVD player are idntical in size (female round holes)and ironically would all fit the single pug that normally goes into the Camcorder."

OK, that sounds like they're all (3.5mm?) jack sockets. As we surmised.. Probably...

Pause for further thought. We've been throwing this one around the office and, to be honest, a general feeling of nervousness is setting in. The problem as we see it is that we (and you) aren't at all sure exactly what the sockets are on the DVD player and, more importantly, what signals might be coming out of which socket.

Plus the connections and general copying procedure seem so non-standard (to us) that we begin to wonder if there's a risk of things inadvertently going wrong? By this I mean that, if an 'unknown' signal were to be input into your camcorder, is there a risk of doing damage to the delicate electronics?

I think on that basis we'd prefer not to make any further suggestions and I hope you'll appreciate our 'play safe' view.

Going back to the original problem of not being able to read the DVD - except on the portable/car player - the reason could simply be that the DVD is not Region 2 (hence it can't be read by your domestic and PC players), and that your car DVD player is an all-region device. (As it happens, my own portable DVD player is Region 2 by default - but can easily be reconfigured to be all-region.)

I'm sorry we can't be more specific than that, maybe someone else has a technical solution.

A last thought: I don't suppose the disc content is 'private' as such, so if you get nowhere with this, and would like to send it to us, we'll be happy to see if we can get it to run on any one of our (numerous) players, domestic and PC, personal and business. Then if we could possibly copy it onto a Region 2 disc, you'd get them back PDQ. If at any point that's of some interest, the snailmail address is T.O.M.S., 5 Halifax Close, Pocklington, York, YO42 2XF, UK.

HTH and I'm only sorry we couldn't solve this one, but I think it's got to the point of play safe.

Longsshanks 07:43 29 Aug 2007

Thanks again.

Our DVD is region free. I did the hack years ago. Have now lokked at manuals for similar Goodman's players and it looks like later ones have video and audio sockets in addition to the 4 I mentioned.

Still waiting for a reply from Goodmans but it loks like we probably bought a model that was superseeded 2 days later because of the design flaws.

Thanks for your interest and time.

Longshanks

holme 19:39 29 Aug 2007

"Our DVD is region free. I did the hack years ago."

Good, that ties in with our interpretation of the symptoms. :-)

If it all gets too difficult, and as my colleague said, please don't hesitate to send the disc to us for copying. We have a portable which we've just 'hacked' to be region-free. The link to the main recorder is composite video which isn't ideal but, from what you said, is perhaps just as good as your system.

Longsshanks 10:24 30 Aug 2007

Many thanks.

Have decided to take DVD to brother who has DVD recorder. This should solve my problem.

Incidentally, in terms of region free wot I was surprised about was that the disc did not run on my PC (not the DVD player). My understanding is that internal DVD/ROM and DVD Rewriters dont tend to need the region free setting as they are set that way anyway.Ie when you search for region free hacks they are all predicated on DVD players/recorders etc.

The evidence seems to suggest that the problem is the media DVD +R 16 speed. It is this which is causing the problem.

Many thanks for your time.

L

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?