Preserving Old Videos

crosstrainer 06:40 28 Aug 2008

A friend has asked me to record 100+ old video tapes to DVD on her behalf....)..some friend eh?) I have a Liteon PVR which I upgraded to a 500GB hdd some time ago.

The method I am proposing to use is: 1) Connect a standard VCR to the PVR via scart cable. 2) Copy as many of the videos to the PVR's HDD as possible. 3) Split and edit into 4.7gb chunks as friends DVD player will not accept dual layer disks (:.

Record the re-titled 4.7GB disk's using my PVR's copy function. I have checked the manual for my PVR, and it will easily do this.....It's just going to take time.

Anyone know a quicker way (without mailing the lot off to a company who would charge her a fortune) ?

She is in no rush, and I don't really want to spend the next 6 months editing video, so I suppose I could just do a few at a time. The PVT is in use to record TV too, so it's a good project for an insomniac!

Kevscar1 08:02 28 Aug 2008

Can you not connect vidoe and DVD recorder to TV and then just set DVD to record whats on screen.
She should be able to do this herself. I have done it with some of my wifes music videos.

crosstrainer 08:06 28 Aug 2008

She has no DVD recorder, and we are talking about 300 hours+ material.

I have 2 large TV's so one out of action is not an issue. The 4.7GB limit means that the tapes will have to be split edited to fit on the smaller media.

She is paying for the DVD's and cases....I just have to do the donkey work :(

BT 08:11 28 Aug 2008

Are these Commercial Video tapes or home video. If they are Commercial films etc you may not be able to transfer them, so a test may be in order to check.

crosstrainer 08:36 28 Aug 2008

Good question, I think it's a mix of both....They are quite old, but will need to look at them when they arrive....I assume that the copy protection is a legal issue rather than a technical one?

If the tape play's, my PVR will record it regardless....It then becomes a moral issue :) Might get me out of copying the lot :))

BT 16:33 28 Aug 2008

Some of the commercial tape/DVD players had/have Macrovision copy protection built in. We bought a DVD player many years ago when they cost £200-300 and paid extra to have the Macrovison circuit disabled (not strictly legal at the time!) so that we could copy from DVD to tape/PC etc.
I'm not sure what modern players have but it does seem that copying is easier than it used to be.

crosstrainer 07:09 29 Aug 2008

Seems as if, as long as the video tapes are disposed of after transfer, then no infringement will have taken place.

Upside? No moral issues.

Downside? Muggins has to do the work!

I tried it last night with one film, and my system works fine...It's just the time it takes to do it. I looked at high speed copying machines, but they are really expensive for a one off project such as this.

Oh well, a few at a time I guess.

BT 07:52 29 Aug 2008

At least once you have it on the Hard disc in your PVR the transfer to DVD is pretty quick. On mine it records from HDD to DVD at about 4x speed.

Kevscar1 07:53 29 Aug 2008

used DVD recorders for £35.

click here

Think I'd be temted to buy her one and let her do it.

crosstrainer 09:00 29 Aug 2008

Yes, it's the editing and splitting that takes the time...Once done, I just feed it blanks :)

BT 09:02 29 Aug 2008

Some fairly cheap ones here too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?