Pioneer DVR 420 DVD Recorder Problems

paul654 12:15 19 Jun 2007

I have a Pioneer DVR 420H DVD Recorder. Whenever I copy something from the hard-drive to a DVD disc the Disc will not play on any of the DVD players (5 players, all different makes) in the house but they will play on the Pioneer. I am recording in 'Video mode' and 'Finalizing' the discs which, according to the Pioneer manual, is what you should do so the discs wil play on other players but I'm having no luck. I've tried 6 different makes/quality discs just in case and still nothing. Any suggestions?
I expected better from a make like Pioneer and wonder if I'd been better with a cheaper model.

rodriguez 12:58 19 Jun 2007

Can a PC read it? If so, what files and folders does it list? Also you could try both + and - format discs as some DVD players will only read one or the other. My Philips one finalises the disc itself after the recording has ended and rewrites the menu when a new recording is added (on a rewritable disc).

rodriguez 13:00 19 Jun 2007

Also make sure you're using regular DVD recordables and try and avoid using DVD RAM - a lot of DVD players can't read DVD RAM discs.

paul654 13:05 19 Jun 2007

I'm using DVD-R discs and my PC wont read the discs either....I'm baffled

rodriguez 13:10 19 Jun 2007

Have a look on the bottom of the disc - if there is a thicker than usual dark ring around the centre where nothing is recorded, then the recorder isn't finalising the disc properly as it isn't writing the disc's TOC (the bit that tells other players what's written on the disc).

ICF 20:02 19 Jun 2007

You can record in two different modes Video mode compatible with DVD players or VR mode not compatible with DVD players.Don't forget to finalize the disc after you have finished copying.

paul654 14:21 21 Jun 2007

had a look at the finished disc like ,rodriguez' suggested, and yes there is a darker ring, especially when the disc is only half full....i've noticed that the discs that I fill up seem to play OK.....so the machine isn't finalizing the discs properly....so is this a machine fault or is it something that can be cured?

tony11 21:38 03 Jan 2008

Have Pioneer 420H from new from what was Dixon's
Problem is:- unable to record from hard drive. When a -r or -rw disc is placed in drive there is rather an unusual clunking as if it is trying to start. it then throws the disc out with a message incompatable disc Is it DEAD ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone