Is PhotoImpact's RAW handling up the job.....

Kemistri 21:25 15 Nov 2007

.....or should I look for a separate RAW converter? If so, which one? Preferably free or cheap, what with budget limitations and all that. I have not had the chance to try PI's own RAW handling yet, but even when I do, I won't have had any other experience of RAW conversion for comparison.

ventanas 21:48 15 Nov 2007

I've just opened some raw files from my D200 in version 12. It seems ok to me, has the usual options.
If you have a camera capable of shooting raw it should have come with some sort of converter anyway.

Kemistri 22:04 15 Nov 2007

Thanks. I'm about to get a Canon 40D - it comes with some bits of software, but I'm not sure what exactly.

ventanas 22:05 15 Nov 2007

Good luck, it looks to be a smashing camera. And you should be ok for a raw converter in the box.

hssutton 22:06 15 Nov 2007

You don't sat what camera you are using, but the freeware version of Rawshooter click here is very good. This is what I used used for some time before upgrading to the premium version, subsequently to be bought out by Adobe.

Also have a look at this freeware convertor from SilkyPix

click here

hssutton 22:11 15 Nov 2007

You posted your last message whilst I was typing.

The 40D will come with all the software you require. At the moment there is a serious lack of alternative raw convertors available for this camera, however this should change in the near future.

I think you will find the Canon software to be better that photoImpact

Kemistri 22:28 15 Nov 2007

Thanks guys.

cycoze 00:29 16 Nov 2007

Digital Photo Professional 3.0.1 comes with the 40D, it is very easy to use click here .

Kemistri 00:51 16 Nov 2007

Thanks Cycoze. Nice one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017