Philips SHN2500 Noise Cancelling earbuds

Covergirl 08:52 19 Aug 2008

click here

Does anybody have experience of this particular model of headphone ? I found a few reviews on the web and they sound kosher and give good reviews.

I've just bought some as I've been wanting something like this for some time and they were £30 at Comet but £10 at Currys so I jumped in.

To my mind, they should work by "listening", and create an opposite waveform which cancels out the external sounds.

All these headphones seem to do is boost the volume, along with snug fitting earpieces which partially block out external noise to some degree.

1. One would presume that with the MP3 player on pause, switching on the unit should cause an audible drop in external noise levels ?

Nope.

2. Also, rattling the control unit lightly with fingernails would cause some audible effect in the earbuds ?

Nope.

Anybody else with this model (or any other model) can confirm that presumptions 1 and 2 should or do happen ?

Thanks in advance.

jack 09:33 19 Aug 2008

Or poor product description of part of Philips and the reviewers.
On the one hand you are looking for noise cancelling device for folk working in a noisy environment or have -say- tinnitus- the opposite wave form effect- This type of device is really a medical thing.
Whereas the noise cancelling buds are simply offering an external noise suppression by a snug fit - so the audio delivery is enhanced.

jack 10:15 19 Aug 2008

May help
click here

Covergirl 10:21 19 Aug 2008

Compact electronics eliminate unwanted external noise by 70%
Smart noise canceling technology enhances the pleasure of listening to lower volume levels in noisy environments. It's particularly good at removing low-frequencies like jet engine noise, so you can enjoy soft music on flights, and in trains and similar places without hearing a distracting buzz in the background.

The technology actual creates an equal but opposite waveform to the unwanted noise that effectively cancels it out.

Covergirl 12:09 19 Aug 2008

. . . I think you're on the wrong track mate.

Details above from the Philips site click here

1. One would presume that with the MP3 player on pause, switching on the unit should cause an audible drop in external noise levels ?

2. Also, rattling the control unit lightly with fingernails would cause some audible effect in the earbuds ?

Anybody else had any success with any other brands ?

jack 12:19 19 Aug 2008

Think about it extrrnal noise can only be suppressed physically-
If electronics were employed it would also kill the audio input too
I a bit of marketing hype and the marketeers have got it plain wrong

Covergirl 12:26 19 Aug 2008

If it could hear the external noise, it could create the "opposite waveform" to nullify it.

Seeing as the headphones / earbuds are in the ear and virtually inaudible from more than a couple of feet away (in a very quiet situation), the electronics could not possibly hear the audio.

Sorry to disagree, but this technology has been around a few years now and mooted even longer, it's just the electronics catching up to be fast enough to reproduce the opposite waveform that has held it up.

Your earlier link pointed towards White Noise - see this link click here on wiki to Active Noise Cancellation.

dms_05 13:16 19 Aug 2008

Philips say 'Active'. So I agree you would expect the unit to offer some noise cancellation over and above the ear seal. The question is 'how much and how does it work'. In some ways Philips reference to filtering low level rumble (as in jet engines) suggest they might be fairly broadband filters rather than producing specific cancelling to specific external sounds - I guess that would be more sophisticated technology and would come in ear buds more expensive than £10!

If they don't work as you expected them to then why not return them for a refund?

dms_05 13:19 19 Aug 2008

Jack - I don't see a problem with external sound collection as the active unit is remote from the ear buds. So you could generate an anti-waveform from that source.

Covergirl - I assume their is a battery in the active unit and it is working?

Covergirl 19:09 19 Aug 2008

Yes, there seems to be a lot of talk of jet engines in various reviews so it may be biased towards the lower freqs.

The active unit is well away from the earbuds and yes, it's a new battery - it certainly boosts the volume anyway.
There doesn't appear to be an orifice in the active unit either - not that it would need one for low frequencies, but it could at least allude towards it. The low frequencies generated by the local buses doesn't seem to affect it either. I'll source out some brown noise and see if that has any effect on it !

OK, so I paid £9.98 but they are still on sale at £30 in Comet (Sunday 17th) and that was their original price - as most sets are £20 upwards on the high street, I expected a little better, but might have to source something better to suit my needs.

A trip to Currys might be on the cards within the next couple of days.

They would certainly come in useful just worn on their own if they could cut out the cackle of the typing pool . . . . :-)

dms_05 08:44 20 Aug 2008

Covergirl - I've often thought about such technology to cut out unwanted noise rather than listen to anything. However I seem to have saved my £10 as your review is most helpful even if negative. If you find anything that does work perhaps you can tell us all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?