Pentax M30 LCD screen

newearwax 13:29 14 Dec 2007

Hi! Last Easter I bought my wife her first digi camera, a M30, She has been very disappointed with the screen, and I agree with her. It is useless in even moderately bright sunlight (something that is rare in the UK anyway). However I adjust its brightness for her it is pretty much the same, and compared with my daughter's Canon compact the colours are vapid.

Yesterday I borrowed it as my camera batteries were flat and happened to show it to a camera shop employee in a town I was visiting. ( I am thinking of upgrading my own camera). He too said the screen was weak. Subsequently I tied to use camera, but all the colours on the screen were wrong. I was in a children's playground. Real yellows. red, and orange became on the screen, white, orange and yellow respectively. Moreover, at one attempt to focus a red blotch appeared in the top left covering about a fifth of the screen. There was no red in the picture I was composing: most was overcast sky!

Has wife got a duff camera. At the moment Pentax is a candidate for my 'never buy again' list.

Any advice and comments would be much appreciated.

Kemistri 21:19 15 Dec 2007

I gather that quite a lot of digital compacts have, in the past, had low quality screens which are difficult to see in bright light and not necessarily very accurate. That said, they should all be up to a reasonable standard by now and consumer law still applies. If I had bought that, I would have promptly rejected it as not fit for its intended purpose. If you cannot properly use the camera outdoors in bright light, then it is not fully functional unless sold as an indoor-only camera!! Not a direct comparison, I admit, but my 40D's screen is easily visible in clear daylight and, even though it is not the best in its class, it is quite accurate. How old is your Pentax?

anchor 13:44 16 Dec 2007

Viewing the LCD screen on many compact cameras can be a problem in bright light. This is why personally I recommend cameras with optical viewfinders. (There are exceptions, such as my new Panasonic DMC-FZ8EB-K which I found viewable in the bright summer sun in Crete).

Coming back to your problem, I have just read this in a review of your model:

click here

"The LCD monitor is large and bright, but with only 115,000 pixels it’s not the sharpest around. It also lacks the useful feature of a non-reflective coating, so glare can be a problem in bright sunlight".

Certainly the severe colour imbalance you describe suggests a fault. As it is still under the 12 month warranty, you should return it ASAP to the dealer it was purchased from.

anchor 13:50 16 Dec 2007

I forgot to ask; did the resultant pictures you shot in the playground have colour problems?.

newearwax 20:21 16 Dec 2007

@Krmistri
You asked...How old is your Pentax?

See my OP: bought Easter 2007

newearwax 20:24 16 Dec 2007

@ anchor. As it happened, I did not take any actual pictures.

anchor 09:31 17 Dec 2007

I was curious. If the fault was only seen on the LCD screen, then possibly just the screen is faulty. On the other hand, if the pictures also showed colour problems, then the sensor would be the likely culprit.

In any case, there is most certainly a fault, & you should return it to your dealer ASAP.

jack 10:04 18 Dec 2007

Contact Pentax- there are many recalls in effect for component quality problems, largely CCD's but screens too
Pentax will advise whether this device qualifies for free replacement.

anchor 13:09 18 Dec 2007

A quick "Google", did not show any recall for your model.

You are still under warranty; moreover your retailer has the responsibility to resolve the matter under the various consumer laws.

I would draw your attention to the lower section of this page which is directed at retailers: (A Few 'Don'ts')

click here

So, don`t be fobbed off with the usual excuse 'We'll have to send it back to the manufacturer'

(I assume that you have the original sale receipt).

newearwax 19:25 18 Dec 2007

I feel a tad embarrassed. I managed to go to the dealer today. Apparently the red blotch is caused by the camera warning that that part of the picture MAY be over exposed. It does that based on range of brightness, so even on a dull day it can happen.

I wonder if a non reflective coating could be applied without damaging the LCD, or excessive cost. Probably a pie dream.

Kemistri 20:02 18 Dec 2007

You may find that a protective film might be enough to take the sheen off.

Don't feel too embarrassed - highlight warnings flash on the camera bodies that I have tried, which makes their meaning more obvious. Still, it's a lesson to always read the manual!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?