PC home recording

pittza 13:14 09 May 2009

Hi, I have just bought a RV6 condencer microphone and tried to record vocals through a Tascam US 122 digital audio interface with phantom power on, conected to my PC but I cant seem to get any signal, but my old Dynamic mike is giving a signal though its not very strong , not being very technically minded is my set up wrong or of could I have a dud mike, how can I test it?

Cheers.

crosstrainer 08:33 10 May 2009

Connect your new mic directly to your pc via the mic in or line in jacks.

Check the audio properties tab to make sure that the "mute" box is unticked.

If it won't work like that, then I'd say you need a replacement.

If you have a guitar amp, you could also plug it into that as a test too.

pittza 08:57 10 May 2009

HI crosstrainer, apparently condencer microphones have to be ' powered' buy a preamp or interface to work so I am not sure if your suggestions will work, I might have to talk nicely to a music shop and see if they will try it for me.
thanks for replying, pittza

wolfie3000 04:09 11 May 2009

Had the same problem myself with my gaming headphones, the mic just wouldnt pick up my voice at all even when it was just a few inches from my mouth.

I found a solution though.

Click on control panel > sounds and audio devices > Advanced in the audio tab then advanced under the microphone section then you should see 1 Microphone +20dB Boost, tick this box then close.

Solved my mic problems so should solve yours.

Stuartli 14:39 11 May 2009

That probably wasn't the cause of the problem..:-)

More likely that the sound device wasn't selected as the Default or Mike being Muted.

Have you used the Sound Recording check?

pittza 17:04 11 May 2009

I have contacted microphone manufacturer and the lead has to be xlr to xlr not xlr to jack + adapter
like I have been using so hopefully a new lead will sort the problem. will keep you posted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?