PC to HDTV

RedYelBlu 14:44 01 Sep 2007

Hi, I have just bought a HDTV ready flat screen TV and would like to link up to my PC to run slide shows on the TV. Can anyone please clarify that I need to do the below things.

- Im using the PC on board graphics for my monitor (VGA) and I should get a graphics card with 2 DVI outputs, 1 for the TV and the other for the monitor. I cannot see the TV screen from where the PC is situated. Can anyone suggest a graphics card? Dont need it for gaming.

- I need a DVI to HDMI cable between PC and TV.
Do I need to run a separate sound cable alongs it?

- How good a qaulity will the images be on a HDTV screen?

Thanks, Ray.

- Do I need any special software?

holme 17:27 01 Sep 2007

As no-one has answered (yet), here's our general thoughts, but all points need to be double-checked (i.e. caveat emptor).

"I cannot see the TV screen from where the PC is situated."

I seem to recall there's a 5m limit between units for HDTV - but that /may/ be the max length for cable availability. Maplin stock 5m DVI to HDTV cables so suggest you email their techie department to query: [email protected]

"Do I need to run a separate sound cable?"

Yes.

"How good a qaulity will the images be on a HDTV screen?"

Whatever output the graphics card will support. But it would make sense to set it to whatever is the 'native' resolution of the screen so that there's no need for the TV to do any rescaling. So look for a graphics card with an output resolution to match the TV.

"Do I need any special software?"

Nothing except the drivers supplied with the graphics card. HTH.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?