Panasonic TV Picture Problem

paul654 14:29 21 Jun 2007

I have a Panasonic 'Quintrix' (crt) 32" TV (approx 8 years old). Recently the picture has started to have either a pink or a green 'hue'and no matter how much I adjust the picture settings I cant get rid of it. Most of the time its pink but every so often everything is green....??!!
Before I send for an engineer can anyone give me any pointers? I know its an old TV but we're planning to get it working properly before we replace it because we were hoping to give it to our elderly nieghbour who's TV is 21 years old Thanks

STREETWORK 21:07 21 Jun 2007

This is caused by the connections/joints 'drying out'. simple fix but will cost you about £50.

A light gel or oil is usually placed around some connections to ensure a good contact and will dry out over time...

David4637 14:29 22 Jun 2007

AVOID STREETWORK's solution, this is NOT the answer, could be dangerous. David

STREETWORK 17:01 22 Jun 2007

Why david????

Obviously I was not saying that Paul should do it, but the symptoms are that the 'joints' have dried out and need sorting...

paul654 02:17 23 Jun 2007

calm down folks....i've no intention of doing the work myself, just trying to work out if it will cost an arm and a leg....if so i'll just scrap it.

SURVEY 10:04 23 Jun 2007

I have had the same problem with a Toshiba flat screen. I traced the fault to a poor connection to the mains supply lead. Make sure all plugs are tightly home.

David4637 13:37 24 Jun 2007

Dry joints are cured by very gentle resoldering, oil will not work. David

Stuartli 16:25 24 Jun 2007

You appear to have completely misunderstood STREETWORK's posting - he did explain what he meant quite clearly afterwards.

postie24 19:38 25 Jun 2007

This could also be down to tube wear

Arnie 00:30 26 Jun 2007

I quite agree.

If the colour change is consistently there all the time, the CRT guns are probably losing their emission.
If the problem is patchy colour which changes on "peak white", (high beam current) it could be the shadow mask behind the screen bending and causing misconvergence.

It may also be the degausing circuitry which is not working correctly.
This can sometimes be caused by not using the switch on the TV and instead switching of from the wall.
Many user manuals frown on this practice.

Arnie 00:31 26 Jun 2007

"degausing" degaussing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?