Panasonic DMR-EX75EB & Freeview

Whaty 13:06 07 Jan 2007

I'm going to buy a 32" LCD TV (looks like either the Sony Bravia or Toshiba '68), I'm also thinking of buying the Panasonic DMR-EX75EB to go with it.

From what I've read I get the impression that if I 'record' freeview the DVD player will upscale the picture to the TV on playback, however, my question is, if I watch freeview (live - not recorded) through the Panasonic DMR-EX75EB will it still upscale the picture on the TV?

I do not have sky (and I'm not likely to get it in the near future) but I do have freeview currently and the signal is very good on all channels.

Thanks,
Terry

Whaty 12:31 09 Jan 2007

Anyone? Please....

mosfet 18:07 10 Jan 2007

Hi,
I have the EX95VEBS. I find it great all round,but don't know what you mean by upscale ??
not being very techy...Les

siouxah1 19:58 10 Jan 2007

Whaty,
not sure I understand. I am assuming that you are using a separate freeview box and will feed that via the EX75 to the TV.
If you feed the Ex75 with the freeview box and then via HDMI from the EX75 to the TV you should be able to go into the recorders menu and set the output to 576, 720 or 1080. (menu others, setup, hdmi output - or similar. From memory!)
It will then send upscaled signal to the TV. Not sure if the same applies to component feed to TV.
As for the benefits, I will leave that to you to decide.
The above of course also applies to any DVD film disc that you play.
I tend to feed Sky via the EX75 HDMI connection at 1080p.
If you are going to use the built in TV tuner then I have no doubt that the feed via HDMI will be the same. Have not tried that since I use SKY.

Siouxah1

Whaty 23:06 10 Jan 2007

Thanks for your replies..

siouxah1, I have today taken the plunge and bought a Toshiba 32WLT68 + Panasonic DMR-EX85 + IXOS XHT458 HDMI cable.... just got to connect them up and see what happens...

What I was trying to ask was: If I watch the freeview channel using the freeview tuner in the DVD player, will the DVD player upscale the picture to the TV?

Perhaps you could advise me on the best connection method, I was going to connect the TV and DVD as follows:-
Aerial into DVD Player
DVD Player to TV via Coax (RF) Cable
DVD Player to TV via HDMI Cable

Is this the best way to connect these two components together?

Thanks,
Terry

siouxah1 23:32 10 Jan 2007

Good for you. Good choice. The Toshiba certainly seems to have excellant connectivity.

That connection plan will suit very well.That way you should get an RF passthrough so that you can watch the TV freeview should you want to record other prog.

There is no doubt in my mind that you will enjoy the EX85 and that it will upscale the output to the TV. Please feel free to query anything I have mentioned that is unclear.

Siouxah1

Whaty 09:57 11 Jan 2007

Thanks....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?