Panasonic DMR-ES20D - Frozen any ideas?

brambles 22:29 14 Jan 2007

We watched a recorded programme normally this evening. Then we followed the procedure for removing it from the RAM disc. This is normally straightforward and we have done it times.
It reported that it was not possible to erase the disc and, since then, everything has frozen and we can't access any of it. It says Goodbye then Hello and SELF CHECK and it keeps repeating these three sequences so it is impossible to switch off or eject disc. At one stage we had a U99 appear but still all action buttons were frozen.
Any recommendations appreciated.

Brambles

rodriguez 23:16 14 Jan 2007

Pull the plug out the wall and plug it back in. This will reset the system. If it still doesn't operate after this, then take it back and change it for another one (if it's still under warrenty). Also when you plug it back in, try and eject the disc before you do anything. If you find that it isn't still under warrenty you can try and manually remove the disc:

1. Unplug it from the mains and pull it out completely (sit it on a table if possible)

2. Undo all the cover screws and lift the cover off (usually you slide it backwards and pull it off)

3. You should see that there is a plastic or metal strip with a circular bit in the middle that goes across where the disc is. This is normally screwed down so unscrew it and lift it off

4. Take the disc off the spindle and screw the strip back down, then replace the cover and screw the unit back together

5. Plug it back in and it should notice there's no discin the drive and give up trying to read it. If it still does the same as what it did before, then it looks like a problem with the Firmware and there's not a lot else you can do with it

rodriguez 23:19 14 Jan 2007

Also, it looks like this is a common problem - click here for someone else's experience which is similar to yours.

brambles 11:14 16 Jan 2007

rodriguez - many thanks for your quick response so late in the evening. The golden trick was to hold 2 buttons down (Panasonic advice) for 10 seconds and the troublesome disc was ejected. Thanks again

Brambles

Carafaraday 13:44 16 Jan 2007

Brambles - for future reference, which 2 buttons?

Diemmess 15:17 16 Jan 2007

Carafaraday, and now I as well would like to know which two buttons please? (there are rather a lot of them!)

Mine is a different model but played its face the other day and sulked.
There was the little matter that a scart lead had partly slipped out........ but it took time and a lot of panic and experiments before it answered again to its master!

anchor 09:45 18 Jan 2007

For future reference I think many of us would like to know which two buttons you refer to.

Whaty 16:00 19 Jan 2007

brambles, please can you advise which two buttons need to be held down.

Arnie 01:12 20 Jan 2007

Since Brambles has not responded, maybe this will help.

I have had this problem twice on my DMR-ES10B recorder. It may work the same way on the DMR-ES20D model. It’s worth a try.

While the unit is off, press and hold the Stop button and The Channel up button, (behind the pull down flap) on the front panel at the same time for about 5 seconds. This should enable the disc to be ejected.
(Fault U99)

If the Child Lock function is activated, it must be cancelled for the above to work.

Diemmess 10:19 20 Jan 2007

Thanks Arnie, that is worth noting.

It is not a combination that would immediately spring to mind! :)

Arnie 13:04 20 Jan 2007

You're welcome.

The info was extracted from the troubleshooting guide at the back of the manual.
It is not easy to find at first glance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?