Olympus battery life

davecooper 08:29 15 Jan 2007

How long should the batteries on a compact digital camera last. I have an Olympus FD170 6Mp
camera and it seems to be eating batteries. I used three pairs of AA batteries in one day, each of which lasted about 30 mins and a dozen pictures at best. The camera wasn't even on for the whole time. I know these can be a bit heavy on batteries but surely not this bad.

STREETWORK 09:20 15 Jan 2007

This sounds like a camera fault, you switch it off and it still drains batteries...

Battery life does depend upon use but it would be worth taking it back...

siouxah1 09:34 15 Jan 2007

davecooper,
are the batteries you are using Alkaline types?
It is usually recommended that rechargeables are used. If you can try a freshly charged set of 2700mAh batteries. It is to do with the way that the voltage drop occurs on these types.
Disregard if rechargeables used.

Siouxah1

Graham. 09:50 15 Jan 2007

I tried two lots of Uniross 2700 mAh Ni-MH. I found they discharged after a few days, even out of the camera. I got a refund.

I now use the original 1800's and they last for ages.

Check the carrying case that the camera cannot accidentally switch on. To be sure, take one battery out.

davecooper 10:34 15 Jan 2007

I am going to get one more set of decent batteries and try again. I must admit that I had considered whether the camera was getting switched on when putting the camera in its case as I thought the lens was extended once as I took it out. I was a bit worried that this may have caused damaged to the camera, but it seems to be ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?