NTSC to PAL?

LastChip 16:00 27 Nov 2005

My wife wants a DVD, that currently is only available in the USA. Of course, this is produced in a NTSC format. No problem in obtaining one - Amazon can do the honours but......

My DVD player is now multi-region (I hacked it), but never having tried to play a different format, does anyone have knowledge of how it works (or not) as the case may be.

What I am asking, does the DVD player automatically read the NTSC format and then convert it seamlessly to PAL, or do you need a television that is also NTSC capable?

This is an area that is a total mystery to me, and any pointers you can give me would be most welcome.

Cannuck 17:22 27 Nov 2005

It probably depends on the make of your DVD player.
As you can probably see from my name, I am a Canadian, who lives in the UK in the winter, and I play NTSC tapes and DVD's all the time.

I just put the NTSC DVDs or video tapes into the players, and away they go automatically.

As you've made your DVD multi-region, that's all you should have do to get a picture.

My TV will also switch to NTSC, which I have never done, but it still plays NTSC DVDs and even shows video from my cam-corder when I plug it in.
Cannuck

LastChip 17:49 27 Nov 2005

Very usefull information.

DieSse 22:33 27 Nov 2005

There's no real difference click here

LastChip 19:17 28 Nov 2005

A good read.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?