No tv picture but still have sound

AMF 11:50 15 Nov 2008

I have a Goodmans LCD tv which is approximately 2 1/2 years old. Recently when I turn on, the picture will soon disappear although I still have sound. This is getting increasingly worse as the picture can now come and go for up to 1 1/2 hours. Is this something that is worth getting fixed or should I just scrap the tv?

Thanks

Stuartli 11:36 16 Nov 2008

Do you use it with a set top box or is it an integrated set?

Try retuning as there are currently regular software updates (at least with my set).

Another point is that the backlight could either be on the way out or has an intermittent problem with electrical contacts.

anchor 12:03 16 Nov 2008

If it cannot easily corrected I would not even consider having it repaired; the inevitable high cost would not justify it.

Does your model even have a digital/freeview tuner?; I cannot recall when they started to be included, but it could have been less than 2½ years ago. As I am sure you know, analogue transmissions are to end.

Stuartli 13:19 16 Nov 2008

>>As I am sure you know, analogue transmissions are to end.>>

But you could still use it with a £20 Freeview set top box...:-)

anchor 13:45 16 Nov 2008

Stuartli: Yes, he may well have such a box; but his existing TV is giving problems.

The money he might spend in getting it repaired would be better spent in getting a new TV with freeview built in, (more convenient). It would also have a new warranty.

AMF 14:15 16 Nov 2008

Thanks for the response everyone.

The set doesn't have freeview but I have a Sky box (not Sky +) and an LG dvd recorder. I have checked all the connections but still no joy. I will try retuning but if that doesn't work then I guess I'll buy a new tv. I had it on all last night and the picture kept coming and going although sound was still there.

Thanks again.

Stuartli 15:20 16 Nov 2008

I am perfectly aware of that fact, as my first response indicates.

However, the fact that the display is there for periods indicates that the fault is probably not that serious - it could be something as simple as a dry joint or just needing retuning in view of present day transmitter work.

Cheaper to get it repaired than splash out a new TV in view of its age or unless you really want a new one..:-)

100andthirty 18:14 16 Nov 2008

I had these symptoms on a Sharp LCD. I don't use Freeview and this problem affected all inputs - AMF - I'm sure you've checked this!. Likely either the lamp inverter or the screen itself

the repairers advised that intermittent defects are hard to diagnose and suggested waiting 'till the fault was permanent. Eventually, the set just stopped working. It was covered by breakdown insurance which included for a new set if the repair was deemed uneconomical. It was written off I now have a Samsung

AMF 20:06 19 Nov 2008

Thanks to everyone for their response. I rechecked all connections. I had previously just used AV1 but decided to try using AV2 and everything is working fine now (fingers crossed) so looks like the problem was with one of the scarts.

Thanks again.

anchor 09:12 20 Nov 2008

AMF: Very glad the problem was resolved.

You did not mention that the fault only occurred when connected to the Sky box, (not if using the TV internal tuner). This may have produced better responses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 review

Be inspired by powerful National Theatre posters from the past 50 years

How to use the new Photos, Notes and Safari features in macOS High Sierra

Galaxy Note 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie