Nikon to stop Film Camera production

dms05 15:37 12 Jan 2006

I read today that one of the great names in 35mm cameras (Nikon) is to stop producing them now and will have run out of stocks by mid-year. They will instead concentrate on DSLR cameras. click here

I'm personally surprised film has disappeared so quickly at the high end of the market. Are you?

ade.h 23:51 12 Jan 2006

Well I'm relieved that at least the superb F6 is not included in the cull. Though I use an EOS1v myself, I've always liked the high-end Nikons as well.

To answer your question; yes I am. Us photo enthusiasts have often debated this subject on the forum, and many of us still hold in high regard our 35mm SLRs.

I've got a little way to go before I can get a DS Mk.II. It'll probably be superceded by the time I'm ready! Maybe I'll go for the 20 instead; that's pretty good and more within budget.

Forum Editor 00:43 13 Jan 2006

I was at Wimbledon last summer, and was sitting right next to a group of sports photographers. Not one of them was using a film camera, and before the match started I was chatting to them about it. They all said that high-end digital cameras were now so good that the image quality was indistiguishable from a film image as far as print publication is concerned. Add to that the sheer convenience - images sent to the news desk via a satellite uplink minutes after they were taken - and you have the perfect tool. Since I went digital my old faithful EOS1 has languished in a cupboard untouched. I now use a Canon 350D, and it's superb - I can use my existing lenses, and image-quality is stunning. I'll never buy another roll of film, and I think there are millions like me.

dms05 09:14 13 Jan 2006

I'm a Contax user myself and I've owned high quality SLR's for 20 years. However I've found myself increasingly using much lower quality digital cameras because of the convenience. I now use a Siemens SF65 mobile phone with a 1.3mp camera and I'm taking more pictures now than I've done in years - and surely that's what we should be doing. I was going to spend my retirement sorting through the 10's of 000's of slides I have. Now if I was able to do that on my PC it would be a pleasure but I will eventually be approaching the slide sorting task with a heavy heart!

dms05 09:14 13 Jan 2006

I'm a Contax user myself and I've owned high quality SLR's for 20 years. However I've found myself increasingly using much lower quality digital cameras because of the convenience. I now use a Siemens SF65 mobile phone with a 1.3mp camera and I'm taking more pictures now than I've done in years - and surely that's what we should be doing. I was going to spend my retirement sorting through the 10's of 000's of slides I have. Now if I was able to do that on my PC it would be a pleasure but I will eventually be approaching the slide sorting task with a heavy heart!

Diemmess 15:11 13 Jan 2006

The pace of change is astonishing.

Digital projectors are already no more than the equivalent price of good 35mm projectors of 30 years ago.

They will be bought by the serious, who have no other way of seeing the more lively result from transmitted light which the slide has always had over the (reflected light) print.

Already holiday snaps and D&P outfits have been quick to start from files on card or CD - and produce very good prints.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?