New to PVR's

Dirty Dick 16:08 01 Apr 2008

I'm looking for a PVR as we lose our analogue broadcasting next year. I have been looking around but am so confused. I have been into THREE major High Street retailers, and I think the staff are as baffled as me ! I am looking for a BLACK one to match my entertainment equipment, also need one that has a series link, Freeview, Time Slip (I think thats what its called), Twin Tuner, An EPG, and capable of linking to my surround system. I would be most grateful if anyone can recommend a unit, as I am Googling to my hearts content, but can't seem to find one, if at all there is one out there with my requirements.

Thanx

DD

Stuartli 16:20 01 Apr 2008

A top quality PVR at a price that's below its Panasonic competitors is Humax's PVR 9200T (the T represents Twin Tuner).

It's about to become available in black for £199 (a bit more expensive than the standard 160GB model, but has a 320GB drive).

See:

click here

BT 16:46 01 Apr 2008

They have a WHARFEDALE 80GB HDD/DVD + Freeview at
click here
for just £59.99. I bought one last week and its a bargain.

anchor 09:52 02 Apr 2008

Wharfedale 80GB HDD/DVD :

I notice that these are NOT new. They are sold "as new", with only a 3 month warranty.

Hence the low price.

pchelper001 13:45 02 Apr 2008

i would like to recommend a humax, one of the best pvr's i have ever used.

anchor 14:24 02 Apr 2008

There have been numererous postings on these forums praising the Humax pvr.

However, if the price is a bit too high for you, here is another for you to consider that is less expensive:

click here

Stuartli 15:58 02 Apr 2008

Did you actually read my thread of 16:20 yesterday?

This Humax is now also in black, the colour scheme which fits what Dirty Dick is seeking to buy.

pchelper001 16:03 02 Apr 2008

yes, i did, i was merely adding to your praise for humax. I am sorry if you feel you were ignored.

Stuartli 18:20 02 Apr 2008

No, I didn't feel I was being ignored...:-)

But you did state: "i would like to recommend a humax, one of the best pvr's i have ever used."

That's a personal comment, rather than support...:-)

pchelper001 18:29 02 Apr 2008

i recommend that Dirty Dick buys a humax pvr as in reviews they have been found as excellent and the pvr that Stuartli found, will be perfectly suite for them.

Stuartli 18:43 02 Apr 2008

In actual fact I speak from personal experience of the Humax PVR 9200T (as well as various Panasonic models); like its Freeview set top box companion, the F2 FOX-T which has been around now for four years, it's regarded as one of the benchmarks.

One other point. The Humax is also sold as a re-badged Bush PVR - in a well known consumer products testing magazine the Bush notched up a 100 per cent reliability score in the latest annual subscribers' survey.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?