New PC for displaying on 32" Samsung TV

nutta106 14:56 18 May 2009

Hi guys

Wondered if anyone could help me, i am looking at getting a desktop thats going to be able to run through my 32" Samsung TV. All i really want to do on it is surf the net, play video to a half decent standard, can anyone suggest a decent priced system that would be able to do this? Gaming would be a bonus but i'm not expecting to play high end games

Arnie 10:37 26 May 2009

I’m surprised you’ve not received a reply to your query.

A large number of digital televisions will have the facility to link to a computer.
If you check the back of your tv, you should see a 15 pin sub D socket marked PC.
Any PC’s VGA lead which normally connects to the monitor can be connected to the TV.

The tv’s manual will explain the procedure.
You will probably need to buy an extension lead to reach the tv’s input socket. These are readily available.

I’ve tried out my Panasonic 32 inch LCD TV’s computer input facility and I was quite impressed with the picture quality.

Arnie.

Border View 10:55 26 May 2009

I think nutta106 is looking for a recommendation for a computer to link to his Samsung. Would be interested in any response because I have the same TV and have often thought along the same lines.

Perhaps this nudge will get some people to respond with a recommendation.

nutta106 11:30 26 May 2009

The tv is equipped with a VGA slot and i am ok with the procedure of connecting it. As said by Barmoor, i am really looking for system recommendations for a decent priced standalone desktop

jack 11:41 26 May 2009

Then surf around - depending your set up around the TV and your budget- a basic box from any of the big sellers such as PCW or Novatech should suit you
No fancy specs- simple enough to surf and play.

You mention Desktop
would not a lapppie be more suitable for the front room? ;-}

nutta106 12:34 26 May 2009

I'm moving into a flat share so its for my room not the front room. I watch on demand TV and films e.t.c. so wanted to be able to do that. Also i prefer desktops as i prefer having a system i can add to when it becomes dated and can replace components.

nutta106 12:41 26 May 2009

click here

I found this system (the pro version) which seems good for under £300 which is in budget. Would anyone have any concerns with it?

jack 13:38 26 May 2009

If that is the spec you need.
I have dealt with Novatech many times in recent years - no problems at all with this firm

Arnie 19:25 26 May 2009

"i am really looking for system recommendations for a decent priced standalone desktop". (sic).

I did understand your requirement, that's why I said. "Any PC’s VGA lead which normally connects to the monitor can be connected to the TV."
This covers all the reasonably priced computers out there and most of the rest.
No doubt a good graphics card or chip set will help with the output quality.

Arnie.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?