NEW MONITOR + TV CARD or LCD TV

teacher lmb 21:12 18 Dec 2005

Any advice on which option - to save space in my son's room, should I buy a new slimline monitor for his pc along with a tv card or do I buy an lcd tv to use as a monitor. I am looking at 19/20 inch approx £300- £350. He plays games and watches dvds, and would like the option to watch some digital tv services. He also wants to use his PS2 through it.

DieSse 22:29 18 Dec 2005

If you buy an LCD TV

1) You can use it to waitch TV without using the computer

2) The PS/2 will plug straight into it

3. It'll alraedy have speakers

4) but you will need a seperate digital TV box (Sky or Freeview)

5) Make sure you get one that is also suitble for use as a PC monitor - some cheaper ones aren't.

If you buy a monitor

1) You will need a TV tuner card

2) You will need a monitor with speakers or you will need to buy speakers.

3) Ypou will need to have the computer running to watch TV

4) I have no idea how you would connect a PS/2 up to it.

Personally the LCDTV option seems easier to me.

007al 22:45 18 Dec 2005

Its out of stock,but this could be your answer click here

DieSse 22:53 18 Dec 2005

Good idea - I didn't realise there were small LCDTVs with freeview built in. That's an ideal solution IMO.

To make sure you get a good Freeview signal in a second location, you can't just *split* the aerial cable in the normal way- there will be too much loss.

I recommend you get a powered splitter (which has an amplifier in it) marked as suitable for digital.

007al 23:06 18 Dec 2005

Something i found out recently,is that too strong a signal can be a downfall too.I have an SLx powered splitter with a dial to make the signal weaker or stronger.I turned it up to full strength and had problems receiving all channels clearly.
I turned it down to minimum and it was fine,and 20% stronger according to the signal detection on my freeview box.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone