New Media PC

User-E01D8A97-A942-476A-B4623140599E2878 19:09 28 Nov 2009

Hey all,

I'm looking at getting a new Media PC for the living room, and was looking for some advice on any that people might've seen.
It must be a nice small one for living room use, so no full size towers or anything like that.

Wi-Fi isn't much of an issue, as it'll be next to the router anyway so I'll just cable it into the network.
Operating System also isn't an issue, I still have an unused Windows 7 Professional Licence that I intend to use with it. So if I can save a bit of money by getting one without an OS, that'll be great.

Now, I would like a Blu-Ray player on it, and it must have HDMI output (preferably full 1080p) and, whilst this may sound unusual, I would like one with the capaibility of playing back HD-DVD's. This isn't a necessity, but it would certainly be a nice bonus. So if anyone knows of any media PC's with a Blu-Ray/HD-DVD combo drive, I'd much appreciate it if you'd point it out to me. Obviously, the fact that it's going to be used for High Definition video playback means it's going to need slightly higher specs than is typical for a small form factor, but I know this is gonna cost me a little more. It's not going to be used for games though, just watching video and maybe the odd bit of web browsing on the living room TV.

A remote would also be a nice bonus, but again isn't essential. I could deal with just using a wireless keyboard and mouse. A remote would just make things easier.

So if anybody knows of any, please let me know!

ArrGee 17:54 29 Nov 2009

How about a combination of an HD Media Drive (click here) and a Wii?

The Media Drive can deliver video content and the Wii and deliver browser ability to your TV.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?