Music downloads - newbie questions

Pineman100 09:03 05 Mar 2008

I don't have an MP3 player and have never downloaded music tracks. But I plan to start.

I have no intention of buying an iPod - I think they're overpriced, and I don't like the idea of being tied to iTunes and its DRM.

I just took a look at eMusic, and was surprised to see that it charges £8.99/month for membership. Are all music download sites like that? I don't want to pay a membership fee - I just want to download tracks as and when I feel like it, and pay for them individually.

Can anyone please point me to some good, DRM-free sites, where I can buy my tracks in this way?

Many thanks.

hastelloy 13:05 05 Mar 2008

As a lite user and pay for what you download.

Kemistri 15:30 05 Mar 2008

You won't even need to pay, if you happen to find something that you like here: click here. All legal and above board.

beynac 15:38 05 Mar 2008

My wife has used Tesco, which was very straightforward. There is DRM on the tracks but the conditions are very reasonable (multiple copy, re-download etc). See the Tesco site for details:

click here

Pineman100 17:31 05 Mar 2008

to all of you. I've just tried a couple of downloads from Tesco (they weren't on the free site), and all went well.

But... I have another question, I'm afraid.

The tracks were supplied to me in WMA format (which I think is the Windows Media Player format, isn't it?). Will these play on an MP3 player, or do I have to change their format? If so, is there any free software that I can get to do this?

Thanks for any further advice.

Kemistri 18:15 05 Mar 2008

WMA is supported by almost all portable media players. I think that even Sony supports it now.

Demora 19:02 05 Mar 2008

This is a good converter

click here

D

Pineman100 14:06 06 Mar 2008

Thanks very much to everyone. My questions are all answered fully.

I'm very grateful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires