Multiregion Blu-Ray player

User-E01D8A97-A942-476A-B4623140599E2878 11:45 16 Nov 2009

Hey all,

I'm looking to get a Multi-Region Blu-Ray player that is capable of playing both American and English Blu-Ray and DVD's. Basically, something to play both Region A and B for blu-ray, and 1 and 2 for DVD.

I know that Region B/2 Blu-Ray players can be chipped, but I'd rather not go down this route as I've heard of firmware updates that either prevent the chips from working, or brick the units altogether. I'm also not entirely sure (in todays age of copy protection) of the legality of chipping players anymore.

So if anybody knows of any players that are multi-region out of the box, let me know!

I'm looking for a good brand by the way too, so Sony, LG, Panasonic etc.

awest3 18:15 16 Nov 2009

this one says its multi-region.....
click here

oresome 21:04 16 Nov 2009

Be careful!

Multi region may refer only to DVD playback.

I'm trying to avoid the cheapo ones for reliability, but thanks for the suggestion!

That other Panasonic one only specifically states multi-region DVD, so I don't really want to take the risk with it.

I know I was trying to avoid chipped ones, however I have found this Panasonic unit,

click here

Which is definately confirmed for multi region blu-rays and DVD's, and is also guaranteed to work with future firmware updates. So if a firmware update does stop the multi-region working, or bricks the unit, at least I'll have a case to send it back.
It's a bit on the pricey side but...well...I've always believed you get what you pay for.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?