media player question

eat_cress 01:42 05 Jul 2006

I have looked all through windows media player and itunes, but I am unable to figure out how to (if at all possible) list music by the folder is is stored in on the actual hard drive, instead of based on the album or artist that the file itself has attributed to it. Is there any way this can be overwritten so that when it lists music files it is based purely on the directory it is stored in instead of what the media file says it belongs to. This can be very problematic if you have the songs for an album, but the actual media files come from different sources, or if you have an album (usually old ones) that cannot find the file information online, and so in your list you have several hundred songs named track 1 as "unknown artist".

If this cannot be done in media Centre, is there a media player that does this or offers this option?

I hope my question isnt too dumb

Thanks

ade.h 20:57 05 Jul 2006

It's not possible to do that, unfortunately. I can appreciate where you're coming from, but it's really best to bite the bullet and organise all your files more rigidly - by genre for example - and manually add track info with the Advanced Tag Editor (right-click a file or a group of files) whenever that info is not already available or is inaccurate.

ade.h 16:39 07 Jul 2006

?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?