Looking for a nice HDTV

ah1802 00:39 18 May 2008

I'm looking for a nice looking HDTV. I hava budget of around £600. Minimum I want is 32"! I also would like it to be able to be wall mounted, I found this bracket if you could confirm this will be suitable for your choice HDTV it would be appreciated. I'm looking to run Sky/DVD/Playstation 3 off it.

belfman 11:23 18 May 2008

click here

Sony Bravia 37inch for £499

Stuartli 15:44 18 May 2008

Or the latest 32in Panasonic models.

You'll find excellent, independent advice and a list of the top rated models from major brands in regular tests at:

click here

or the latest copy of the magazine.

Stuartli 15:23 20 May 2008

That should read 37in Panasonic (TH-37PX80 plasma TV). See, for instance:

click here

tasslehoff burrfoot 23:18 09 Jun 2008

The PX is 720p, to get the best from your PS3 you would be better off going with the PZ range (1080p), this will of course cost more money.

Also, it depends on the viewing distance as this may render the benefits of 1080p redundant.

Stuartli 23:34 09 Jun 2008

>>as this may render the benefits of 1080p redundant.>>

I keep pointing out that only those with sets of 42in or greater will really see the full benefits of high definition models.

tigertop2 16:54 10 Jun 2008

The PS3 is thought by some to be the best Blu-Ray player at a reasonable price as it ,unlike Profile 1 or 1.1 series BD players, can be updated to the latest profile. So why not take advantage of that and get a TV with 1080 capability. The Panasonic TX-32LZD80 fits your needs perfectly in this respect-and gets 5 stars in most reviews on all counts. You should be able to pick it up at your price limit.

tasslehoff burrfoot 17:49 10 Jun 2008

"I keep pointing out that only those with sets of 42in or greater will really see the full benefits of high definition models."

I couldn't disagree more.

You will lose the full benefit at a closer distance, yes, but your statement is untrue

al7478 17:14 14 Jun 2008

No, the statement is'nt untrue. It is only untrue in the eyes of the individual viewer, and, if you as around somewher like the site stuartli linked to, you will find most viewers are of the same opinion.

Many choose full hd, if they can afford it, citing vague reasons like future-proofing. I agree with them in that there may come a time when we all have 1080p TVs, and people may move house or something, and sit closer to the TV and so get the benefit (the benefit will increase the closer you get, not the further away).

However, you would have to sit REALLY close to a TV smaller than 42" to see the difference. Moreover, the good (mostly) folk at the site stuartli linked to woul dsy that, even at the bigger sizes, theyre unsure that the diference is worth the price.

tasslehoff burrfoot 17:49 14 Jun 2008

"However, you would have to sit REALLY close to a TV smaller than 42" to see the difference"

"unsure that the diference is worth the price."

"sit closer to the TV and so get the benefit"

So there is a difference and it is noticable. Why are you disagreeing with me again?

al7478 18:46 14 Jun 2008

all to read in full. But, to answer your question:

Because if the difference were ingredients on a packet of crisps it would have the word "trace" nect to it. You would have to be no more than a couple of feet away to notice the difference on a screen smaller than 42", the price premium isnt justified in most opinions.

You will ahve noticed, of course, that at no point did i say there was no diference at all with smaller TVs.

To clarify, im saying that you will almost certainly notice no diference on a smaller telly in a normal viewing situation.

If you want to sit more or less on a 32-37" full hd screen, well...I'd have to ask if an hd ready screen from a bit further away really isnt good enough for you as, with an hd source, they give a pretty good picture, if you stick with good brands.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone