linked plasma to pc how do you get the sound?

stompalot 19:14 21 Mar 2006

ok basically what i've done is i've linked my plasma, dvd home theatre system and pc together with a monitor splitter so i can watch movies from my pc on my plasma but i have a problem.
What i want to do is i want to play the sound from the movie playing on my pc through my dvd home theatre system but i don't know how to do it... more to the point can it be done?
I have sound blaster live 7.1 sound card. on the back of the dvd player and plasma i have the normal Left & Right audio ports, but also on the plasma i have 1 single connection, a black port that it seems you would connect a 2.1 speaker set too. any ideas guys?

D@ve 20:13 21 Mar 2006

It would depend whether or not your DVD home theatre system has inputs for an additional analogue surround input. If so, you would just connect your sound card to them using stereo - RCA cables.

Which DVD home theatre system do you have?

D@ve 20:43 21 Mar 2006

I've re-read what you've posted and I'm not sure if you want surround sound from the PC or just stereo through your theatre system.

If it's just stereo your after then use a stereo to RCA cable from your sound card into the left and right inputs on the back of the DVD player.

stompalot 22:18 21 Mar 2006

idealy i'd like all my sound from my plasma and pc to play through the surround sound system if possible.

The surround sound system i have is called
LG LHT550TB you can find it on the currys website if thats any help.

DieSse 23:06 21 Mar 2006

The LG system does not appear to have any audio inputs as far as I can see - it only does sound out when you play a DVD on it.

So all you could try is to input sound directly into the TV and listen to it as with any other usage (apart from the home cinema system playing DVDs itself).

DieSse 23:16 21 Mar 2006

Ah - found the manual for it - it does show audio inputs - two RCA connections - so you just connect your sound card to it, in the same way as you've connected your video signal to it.

Probably the best place is via the three sockets marked for VCR input.

stompalot 23:22 21 Mar 2006

So what ports would i plug that into on the sound blaster live 7.1 then? it has 4 ports it always confuses me...
Also what cable would i buy? is it sold on cableuniverse.co.uk ?

DieSse 23:42 21 Mar 2006

Is this it? click here

You use the stereo out setting, and the appropriate socket.

At one end the cable will need two phono (or RCA) plugs, to fit the DVD unit - at the other, a mini-jackplug, to fit the SB card.

The SB card manual should tell you more.

DieSse 23:56 21 Mar 2006

Is this it? click here

You use the stereo out setting, and the appropriate socket.

At one end the cable will need two phono (or RCA) plugs, to fit the DVD unit - at the other, a mini-jackplug, to fit the SB card.

The SB card manual should tell you more.

stompalot 23:59 21 Mar 2006

that could be a slight problem i don't actualy know where the manual is.. i've just moved house and i got rid of alot of stuff.
so that would be 2X rca/phono to 3x mini jack or just the one? also where would it go? sorry to be a pain.

DieSse 00:53 22 Mar 2006

Just 1 mini-jack. Only 1 socket on the card is the stereo audio out socket.

And I can't find the manual on-line - perhaps someone can help.

But the back of the card is stamped near the sockets as to what they're for.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?