LCD TV Burn

subi 18:01 07 Jan 2007

I expect there are numerous people who are experiencing the same " problem " as myself!
Have just purchased a new 32" LCD TV.
Most of the channels on Cable ( I have NTL-Telewest )& Digital fill the screen on the 16:9 aspect setting but others, like UK TV, appear with black borders on top & bottom of the picture which necessitates going into the Menu and altering the picture by using the Zoom function!
Maybe I am paronoid but reading the Precautions page of the user manual, which states that extended viewing with these borders can cause image retention, makes me alter the picture immediately so the full area of the screen is filled.
Am I being too cautious?
Why are the broadcasters transmitting programmes with different Aspect Ratios, when they know that LCD TV's have a 16:9 aspect?
My TV is a Samsung LE32R74BDX.
Any comments to alleviate my fears would be very welcome.

siouxah1 09:25 08 Jan 2007

subi,
sorry no answers before this. To set your mind at rest see this:-

click here

I have used LCD for some time and regularly view DVD film in 16:9 with black bars top and bottom with no ill effects.

When films etc are transmitted in true 16:9 you will always have bars top and bottom. Some TV's will fill the screen by stretching the picture. Some people notice this, some don't. Some dislike it intensely.
There is much written on the subject. However, I would not worry either way. Watch in whichever format you like best. No harm will come to your set. Although there are other factors that will be spoken about by others - in the main do not worry.

Siouxah1

Mr Mistoffelees 14:52 08 Jan 2007

"true 16:9" will fill the screen exactly, there will not be any black border displayed as it matches the screen aspect ratio. Films sometimes appear with a black border top and bottom because the broadcaster is trying to give you more of the original cinamascope picture width.

Image retention with an LCD screen is only likely to happen if it displays a stationary image for something like 12 hours or more. Even then the effect is unlikely to be permanent.

subi 16:50 08 Jan 2007

Many thanks to siouxah1 & Mr Mistoffeless for your remarks - they have set my mind at ease.
I will therefore NOT be constantly adjusting the screen every time the borders appear!!
I expect the manufacturers highlight this problem in their Owners Manual, to cover themselves, just in case someone leaves the set on for a VERY LONG PERIOD with the borders showing.

siouxah1 19:58 08 Jan 2007

Of course Mr Mistoffelees is perfectly correct. What I should have referred to is the aspect ratio 2.35:1, Anamorphic widescreen, as presented on some DVD films such as Star Wars II.
You might find the following of interest.

click here

Siouxah1

Stuartli 21:47 08 Jan 2007

Re screen burn. See:

click here

and click here

click here

Mr Mistoffelees 21:58 08 Jan 2007

What the author of the article does not tell, which we need to know for his findings to be of any use to us, was how long the wallpaper was continuously displayed when the PC was not in use.

Stuartli 22:50 08 Jan 2007

The main point of one of the links in particular is that LCD sets are not prone to screen burn which can, however, affect plasma sets.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017