.jpg file options

john bunyan 18:35 22 Jan 2009

I am aware of the (lossy) disadvantages of .jpg files and use Photoshop CS4 for more difficult files (layers etc) For family snapshots however I use .jpg. I am ok with the slider that gives you the "quality" eg, 7 etc. I am unclear about the other option ie "Baseline"Standard"";"Baseline Optimised" and "Progressive" . I did find if i used the last (I think designed for the web?) the photos would not show on a Photoframe. What is the best option for amateur snapshots but wanting quite good results? This is not covered well in Photoshop books. I do not load to the web much.

hssutton 20:19 22 Jan 2009

Hi John. "I guess you're using save to web" something I never do as this strips out the Exif and I like to keep the exif intact, many of us consider this to be important as this helps other photographers/viewers to see the settings used.

Does this help you.

Optimized. Creates an enhanced JPEG with a slightly smaller file size. The Optimized JPEG format is recommended for maximum file compression; however, some older browsers do not support this feature.

Progressive
Displays the image progressively in a web browser. The image appears as a series of overlays, enabling viewers to see a low-resolution version of the image before it downloads completely. The Progressive option requires use of the Optimized JPEG format.
Progressive JPEGs require more RAM for viewing and are not supported by some browsers.

john bunyan 22:14 22 Jan 2009

Hi hssutton - thought you would know!! Would you advise me to use "Baseline"Standard"";or
"Baseline Optimised" for better quality? I had not noticed this until the pix did not show on a picture frame! Not bothered with web loading but have noted the possibility. How do I switch off "save to web" in CS4?

john bunyan 22:44 22 Jan 2009

hssutton. Further to the above, I have now read up the "save to web" option, and have never used it. I do use the Exif in Bridge. I susoect that , for some reason although I use the "save as" function, the box appears with the Progressive function with a dot in it and I have omitted to notice it. Am using Baseline Optimised unless you advise Baseline Standard is "Better". Struggling to learn Raw file features! Thanks again for ypur expertise!! JB

hssutton 10:35 23 Jan 2009

John, having used PS for many years I've got into the habit of saving as Baseline Standard.

A few years ago not all software/browsers would recognise "optimised" I doubt that this is now a problem, but not too sure about AOL users. So really the choice is yours.

I will put this question to members of the World Photographic Forum. Watch this space:)

john bunyan 16:17 23 Jan 2009

hssutton. Many, many thanks. The subject is not well covered in the books I have. Great to have access to such expertise!! :)

hssutton 15:46 24 Jan 2009

John. Feedback from my photographic friends are rather split on this with half of them using progressive and the other half using Baseline Standard, actually if I included myself, Baseline Standard is the winner :)

john bunyan 18:32 24 Jan 2009

hssutton. Thanks again for the follow up. I will stick to either Baseline Standard or Baseline Optimised as I find progressive won't show on photoframes. Hope to progress to RAW when I get a better camera.(Yet another learning curve). Your prompt feedback,as usual, much appreciated.JB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone