JPEG or RAW

podlod 11:40 01 May 2008

Hi, I at the moment place all my pictures which are in JPEG on my PC in Picasa, but now I am shooting more and more photos in RAW, so is there another free website that I can download and place my RAW photos in and work with as well as save, or will the new website clash with Picasa, or do you think picasa can take an enormous amount of MB`s, there is no prob with memory as I have a 2RAM PC. Thank you for any help.

hssutton 14:23 01 May 2008

None that I know or have heard of, but much better than Picasa is Adobe Photoshop Express. At the moment, officially only for the States, but I along with many others in the UK are using it. It will also directly import your images from Picasa, if you so wish.

The reason for shooting in raw is so that you control the development of the image, such as White Balance and Exposure (within limits)

You can also tweak colour saturation, recovery of lost highlights, clarity and vibrance also sharpness and noise reduction. This is not a full list of what you can do in a raw converter.

A lot of these features are found in most editors, but do not perform to the same extent.

Raw files are your equivilent of film negatives and idealy should be saved to a dedicated hard drive or DVD, not stored on a server out in cyber space.

podlod 15:15 01 May 2008

Hi Sutton, I went to the website Adobe Photoshop Express, but I did not see where you could develop the photo image, and you say it does a full list of the changes you describe, and you think it is better than Picasa?

hssutton 16:23 01 May 2008

Hi Podlod, here's the link to my photoshop express album click here. this will show you how it appears to people browsing.

Hopefully this is a link to my Photobucket album [IMG]click here[/IMG]which shows the Photoshop Express interface listing all the possible editing tools down the lefthand side

Stuartli 23:03 01 May 2008

If you do a Save As, your original file will be retained in Picasa (or any other photo editing program as far as I'm aware).

I print very detailed A4 prints from .jpeg files on a regular basis.

My digital camera? A six-year-old Minolta 2MP E203...:-)

hssutton 08:47 02 May 2008

Unfortunately you cannot do a "Save As" with raw files. Once you have run a raw file through such as picassa you can only "Save As" a Jpeg, possibly as a Tiff, but I'm not too sure about the Tiff.

You do however retain the Raw file and it is this raw file that Podlod is referring to. Where to save it, obviously on your own computer

Many people save their photos as Jpegs and there's nothing at all wrong in doing so. It's just that serious photographers like to retain their original files, just as we did with our film negatives.

Stuartli 10:07 02 May 2008
  podlod 13:50 03 May 2008

Thanks everybody, this has certainly given me something to contemplate with, but the info is interesting. thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?