iTunes and MP3?

anskyber 22:19 08 Jan 2009

I understand that music downloaded from the iTunes site is copy protected. That is fine, I understand fully what is trying to be achieved by doing so but I'm slightly confused by how the music can be played back through other equipment.

Putting it simply, my daughter and her husband have an iPod each, one a standard iPod the other an iPod touch. They have ooodles of music on them downloaded from the iTunes store.

They are thinking of getting a Sony surround sound system which has an MP3 player socket for playback of MP3 players. I realise that MP3 players can be a generic title but does any one know if their iPods will play back through such a system?

alB 22:53 08 Jan 2009

Yes, they will be able to play them through their system with no problem, all they will have to do is connect a lead from the line/aux in of the stereo system to the earphone socket of the Ipod, (unless of course the new systen has a built in Ipod dock), I take mine into work and play it through the works stereo frequently, (much to the annoyance of some of my co-workers!) ...alB

anskyber 07:13 09 Jan 2009

Many thanks!

Grambo 08:44 09 Jan 2009

'I understand that music downloaded from the iTunes site is copy protected. That is fine, I understand fully what is trying to be achieved by doing so but I'm slightly confused by how the music can be played back through other equipment.'

I dont think that is the case now

click here

Its a shame its not retospective to free up existing downloads

donki 12:38 09 Jan 2009

I think if it is the same as my Sony system it will probably have a usb socket as the MP3 socket so they can just buy a new dock and away they go :).

john bunyan 19:12 10 Jan 2009

Grambo. You pay more for non MP4 to i Tunes if you want normal MP3, and you have to make a "permanent" switch. You can, however burn a CD from iTunes and re import it as an Mp3. I have teo iTunes accounts and separate libraries on one PC but they don't make it easy to do.

Noof 11:56 11 Jan 2009

I want normal MP3

john bunyan 12:07 11 Jan 2009

Noof. Fine, you pay iTunes a it more per track, or burn iTunes MP4 to CD and re-import as MP3.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?