ipod or zen?

SURVEY 17:14 09 Dec 2008

Having fatally damaged my trusty creative zen vision m 60gb mp3 player I need another. I am considering an ipod classic but I need some advice.

At present all my music is high bit-rated mp3 files, all with album art, genred, playlisted etc. that play well with Windows Media Player and of course are easy to transfer to players such as Creative manufacture. I understand that an ipod will not allow a simple folder or album transfer from PC to ipod without going through i-tunes. I have heard that i-tunes can ruin playlists, mix up tracks and album art only obtainable through the apple store.

Just what sort of probelms can I expect if I go the ipod route. What would anyone recommend? Zen X-fi?

canarieslover 18:29 09 Dec 2008

I take it that your Zen really was terminal. I have not yet heard the new Zen X-Fi but some of the reviews indicate that it is just a small step on from Vision M series. I wouldn't recommend iPod purely because of my bad experiences with iTunes. I don't like programs that I have to reformat my hard drive to get rid of completely and I also did not like the way it dictated that I had to work it's way or not at all. Purely personal reasons. I have always liked my Zen for it's sound reproduction, though not with original earphones, but I always rip at high bit rates.
click here
click here

SURVEY 18:56 09 Dec 2008

canarieslover - yes, I took the Vision M apart and there were no loose connections etc. Hard disk buzzes and shows as a 'hard disk problem' on screen. I could get a refurbished 'M'for £117 or get a new X-Fi 32Gb for £170 on Amazon.

Like you I believe that Apple is quite restrictive in the way we use our own music so a WMP friendly device probably suits better!

100andthirty 19:50 09 Dec 2008

how about this?

click here

or this

click here

No personal experience of either - just googled mp3 player 60gb!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?