hp media pc and sky

mckeown.thomas 02:39 24 Sep 2007

hi everyone, im looking for some help, i have just been reading through a post on here about connecting media pcs to sky+, im having the same kind of problem. i just bout my pc today from pc world, i asked the guy in the shop about connecting sky to the pc and he told me it was just a case of connecting a few wires, i assumed i would have got these wires with the pc but i didnt. so im looking for some information on what cables i should be going to try and but tomorrow.

Basically i have the pc connected to my tv just now with a SVGA monitor cable that i bought today.

my sky box is connected to my tv with a scart cable.

so n ow im wondering how to get the sky to my pc, on the back of the sky box i have (spare) vcr scart, audio out left and right, RF out-1, RFout-2, and something called RS-232.

hope this all makes sense to someone here.

sorry for the long post

Thomas

Tim1964 23:09 24 Sep 2007

Does your PC have a TV card in it?

This is the only way to see/record what is on the Sky+ box (unless you take the HDD out) The Sky input is 'seen' by the PC as any other signal input for e.g freeview/ariel connection/DVD/VCR.

In this case it would be the RF and audio outs.

ArrGee 11:30 07 Oct 2007

I have a new HP Media PC connected to a Sky+ Box.

I used the S-Video out on the back of the Sky box to go to S-Video in on the front on the PC. This will carry only the video.

Then I have a standard 'red-white' audio cable going from the back of the box to the front inouts on the PC.

Now you need to capture the Audio and Video, and you'll probably find that your PC (if it's the same as mine) didn't come with any capture software (a bit stange is you ask me), but I have tried various applications until finding the best way so far of getting good image quality and audio fully in synch.

For this I use Cyberlink PowerCinema.

click here

This will save your recorded tv in MPEG format and the file size will be quite large.

To reduce file size I use AutoGK

click here

This is very simple to use and quite self explanatory. Simply open AutoGK, select the recorded TV file, tell AutoGK where you want to save the reduced file then select what file size you want.

Typically for a 1 hour program I reduce to 700mb so it can be recorded on SVCD, but you can go higher to record on DVD and retain video/audio detail.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?