How to Scan 35 mm slides

Guady 16:53 03 Jan 2008

I am wanting to scan some 35mm slides (both cardboard and plastic mounts. Having tried on my old "free" scanner with no success - terrible quality, impossible to see what the photo is of! I'm now looking at the Canon CS4400F and the Epson Perfection V100 - both of which indicate that they have a device that holds 4 or so slides so you can scan them all at once. If you have any info / experience of these scanners, I'd be glad to hear about it. My only other alternative will be to send the slides to a processing service but as I have hundreds and would like to save them all, this is not really very practical!

ICF 18:49 03 Jan 2008

I have the epson 3170 which scans 4 slides at once and the results a remarkable.This is an out dated model now but the result you get from one of your choices should be equally good.A slide scanner has a light in the lid so that's why you got poor results from your scanner.

Demora 15:09 04 Jan 2008

Some scanners also have a special mirror in the lid to reflect the light through the slide/negatives.

You could try this starting with foil. Worth a go, but be careful not to scratch the glass.

D

Guady 17:31 04 Jan 2008

Have bought the Epson V100 Photo today and done the first few slides. I'm absolutely delighted with the results - far better than expected. Thanks for your replies.

jack 17:34 04 Jan 2008

The latest models with light in the lid and the ability to scan several slides at once are quite good for your average user.
There are dedicated film/slide scanners at high cost- but only practicable if you are looking for pster size prints - which I am sure you are not.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017