How to help your parents with technology?

Alex Dott 14:55 17 Mar 2016

I was just wondering what your guys opinions were on teaching technology to your parents. Mainly about pc's and andriods, cause I keep getting asked by my mom and pap to teach them things. I don't know how to do this so what are some of your experiences with this?

Bazzaman 16:26 17 Mar 2016

I think you'll find that many of the bods on this forum are of "the older generation" and could (maybe) teach the younger ones a thing or two.

AroundAgain 16:38 17 Mar 2016

I agree with Bassaman. There are a lot of very experienced guys/gals on here who would help. Also, there is always Google, or alternatives. Are you parents able to type in the question? I'm sure they could - then there are lots of links to read, until they get the answer.

There are a lot of books available, particularly the Program for Seniors series, which are excellent if prepared to just start at the beginning and work through it, doing the exercises as suggested. They teach a lot but are not so easy for just reference. Otherwise, I don't personally think books are as good as searching in Google and, if can't find the solution, post on here

Good luck

From a Senior Citizen (still young at heart) ;)

wee eddie 18:13 17 Mar 2016

I think that the first thing you want to ascertain is: Do they want to learn how to do "X" or "Y" or is it something that you feel that they aught to know.

I have been trying to persuade my sister to go on-line for years. Her response is always. "What, of the things, that I already do, should I give up, to make time for Facebook etc?"

I'm 71, she's 69. I tend to agree with her.

lotvic 18:54 17 Mar 2016

teaching technology to your parents

My mum will be 96 this May, for her 95th I bought her a new 23" A.I.O. i3 Quad core as she was complaining her old pc wasn't fast enough.

BT 08:10 18 Mar 2016

My mum will be 96 this May, for her 95th I bought her a new 23" A.I.O. i3 Quad core as she was complaining her old pc wasn't fast enough.

When you've made it this far you don't want to be hanging around waiting for a slow PC ☺

JYPX 09:39 18 Mar 2016

I see it this way. If you have family members (of any age) who have Windows devices....what do they need to know the most? What is going to trip them up?

When Windows 10 came out I started to worry just a little about the Microsoft strategy.It seems that the era of just 1 very large update (Service Pack 1) during the first few years is over.

Things have changed.

The strategy now is (possibly) for 1 or even several huge updates (arguably a re-install of Windows 10)...every year. So I think the number one concern for any Windows user is to be ready for that and to understand what you can do to take some control of that update so that your device is not rebooting at a horribly inconvenient moment.

Microsoft are now talking about some very exciting new features for the next major update (which may be pushed back to 2017). That is great but I hope they will keep in mind that a Windows Operating System is not a toy. It is now a ubiquitous part of everyday life. That means that Microsoft have a huge responsibility. And that includes making sure that Windows 10 is Familiar, Logical and Understandable to technical folk and non technical folk, every time it boots up.

:)

wee eddie 09:45 18 Mar 2016

JYPX: Don't worry, Donald Trump has just put in a bid for Microsoft!

You heard it here first

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone