How to get broadband from home to outbuilding

recurve132 11:46 06 Mar 2016

My home has broadband and I'm converting an outbuilding about into a place to work. Can anyone suggest a robust way to emit/transfer/carry my broadband signal from my house (where it's still required) about 40-ft across my yard please? thanks

RV510 12:01 06 Mar 2016

A pair of homeplugs is what you need, these units plug into your 3-pin plug sockets, connect your router to the one in your house by Ethernet cable, plug the second one into the outbuilding 3-pin socket and connect your PC to it with another Ethernet cable and let the plugs configure and 'talk' to each other and you're up and running. I think that a Wi-Fi dongle might work as well but I'm not familiar with these as I've never used one.

Jollyjohn 12:49 06 Mar 2016

Consider running an Ethernet cable - see click here I would pop another router at the end to give a wifi network and options to connect more than one device.

recurve132 13:15 06 Mar 2016

Thanks for both responses . I will look into both. With the Ethernet option I guess one end plugs into the household router (and the other into the new router in outbuilding)? And does having two routers water down the signal/speed? And do both routers operate on the same password and broadband subscription please? Thanks again

RV510 13:23 06 Mar 2016

Personally I would go down the homeplug or dongle route first, you won't be able to use a second router connected in series with your existing one, so I have been reliably told. There is another option, seeing the distance is not great, you could just run a long Ethernet cable from your router to the outbuilding connecting direct to the PC, that probably would be your cheapest option.

wee eddie 13:35 06 Mar 2016

HomePlugs will work, only so long as the Out-Buildings take their power from the same Mains Fuse Box as the House where the Router is sited.

Jollyjohn 15:25 06 Mar 2016

Yes with the ethernet cable, one end goes into existing router and the other could go direct to PC but I would use a second router, if you have one, for more flexibility and stronger wifi signal.

Here is a guide to using a second router, it is based on an old BT hub 1 but the principles are the same for a newer router. click here

What you cannot do is have two routers connected to the same phone line, that just doesnt work.

thorshammer 17:26 06 Mar 2016

It is not absolutely necessary to have Ethernet/power unit on the same fuse box however the manufacturers do warn that there may be speed deterioration if you do or the wiring is not up to standard. It is quick and easy to use. All you need is a pair of ethernet/power units that plug into a socket and two ethernet cables. You might need a switch hub if you have more than one network device in your office/study. Also check that the device is handling cable crossover for you, if you are plugging it directly into a PC. Switching hub can usually do this function automatically.

recurve132 20:38 06 Mar 2016

Thanks for the advice , I'll check out what's most practical . The outbuildings are on diff fuse box to the house and running a cable might be 'inconvenient' due to trying to conceal it running from middle of house to the exterior etc.. At least there are options though

wee eddie 22:06 06 Mar 2016

When I said Fuse Box, I meant Mains Fuse Box and Meter..

If they're on the same Meter, a Homeplug style setup would work without any extra wireing

Forum Editor 10:11 07 Mar 2016

By far the simplest solution would be to run a CAT6 ethernet cable from your home router to your outbuilding's computer.

The distance involved is no problem at all - the cable will laugh at 40 feet - there will be no discernible performance drop off.

Ideally, the cable should run inside a conduit that is either clipped to a fence, or buried in a chase across the yard. You can run the conduit on the surface, but make sure that it's away from foot traffic and well clipped. White plastic overflow pipe is ideal, and it's cheap.

Using your mains wiring circuit is OK, provided the wiring and connections are in very good condition - any slight faults in that department will cause big problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017