How to download videos from Sony Camcorder MiniDV

Roderick Roy 16:33 19 Apr 2017

I have many MiniDV tapes taken on a Sony DCR-HC14E. I've tried downloading to my HP laptop via the USB mini cable and a Firewire cable both the the USB port in my laptop both direct and with Sony's "Play Memories" software but I cannot get my laptop or the software to rercognise the camera, let alone download the video. I'm sure tens of thousands of people must have family videos etc that the took on camcorders but, to date, I haven't been able to find anyone who can advise me how I can transfer from the MiniDV format to my laptop without paying over £50 a tape to have it done professionally!

BT 08:39 20 Apr 2017

There are many bits of kit available to do this. You need something similar to these

[USB Video converters ]1

BT 08:42 20 Apr 2017

There are many bits of kit available to do this. You need something similar to these

USB Video convertor

Roderick Roy 12:36 20 Apr 2017

Thanks for that BT. I have tried similar kits but nothing registers on my laptop. I've tried it also with two other Sony DCR camcorders. Each time I get the same message that the PC doesn't recognise the camera. I'll buy that one and try but not sure that it will fit the Firewire, DV out or USB2 Mini B sockets on the camera. K

Roderick Roy 12:49 20 Apr 2017

I have now spoken with the company who supply that capture device. they don't supply a kit that fit the this camera but have advised me of a cable I can get elsewhere that can be combined with this kit - so I'm feeling a little more confident now! Thanks again K

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires