How do I connect my PC to my TV

abu892 12:25 17 Jul 2009

I have a PC with Windows Media Center installed, and I'd like to be able to connect it to my TV (quite old, not HD, although may upgrade it in a year or so). I know that I can use an xBox as a Media Center Extender, but I'd also like to be able to do things like watch BBC's iplayer or programmes downloaded from 4 On Demand onto my PC on my TV, and am not sure I could use the xBox in this way so don't want to buy one specifically for this purpose if it can't do this. I suppose what I'm looking for is a way to use my TV as a second PC monitor.

At the moment my PC is quite close to my PC so I could connect it via a cable, but it might be good to put the PC in another room so wireless options might be useful. I've also been told that if you just put an S-Video cable between the TV and PC it will work, but the image will be distorted.

I'm sure this kind of stuff has been covered in the forum before but I can't find it; if it has I'd be grateful if someone could point me at any posts or tutorials.

Thanks.

howard64 15:05 17 Jul 2009

it seems to depend on how old your tv actually is. The oldest type that can receive a pc signal is with a scart adaptor. This has a scart plug with 3 leads coming from it with a red yellow and I think black connector. Next up is usb if your tv has a usb socket a usb cable can connect. The latest I know of is an hdmi socket where an hdmi equipped pc can use an hdmi cable to connect between them. I assume there is such a thing as a wireless adaptor but I have not seen or heard of any.

Stuartli 21:18 18 Jul 2009

The Scart lead described carries audio on the (RCA) red and black phono plugs and video via the yellow phono plug; an S-Video Scart lead will/should also include audio leads.

The WMC could be used with an HDMI lead to the TV if it has a graphics card with an HDMI output.

There may still be a need to use 3.5mm phono to phono leads to carry the audio to the TV.

Stuartli 21:29 18 Jul 2009

Some Scart leads are not bi-directional, so this point needs to be checked out before any purchase.

For instance a Scart to three phono leads (A/V) may only operate using the Scart plug in, for instance, a DVD player, with the phono leads being connected to a TV.

That would obviously be of no use with a computer system, though OK the other way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?