How can I digitise my film collection in the way I want?

Benjo36 18:34 22 Mar 2014

I want to transition from DVD to digital content (skipping Blu-Ray) as this is the way the world is going and it will also save a lot of physical space. I wanted to replace my collection with HD content downloaded from a reputable provider that would be presented nicely with a clear image of the video cover for easy browsing from my hard drive - like you might get displayed on any video streaming service. Believing that Amazon Prime Instant would solve all my problems I signed up in the belief that I would be able to download my purchases to my PC hard drive to do with as I please. I should have known better. You have to use Amazon's Unbox Player which means you cannot save your purchases in a relatively universal format, like MP4 (or whatever) to watch under any circumstances. Then again, I could simply rip dvd's to my hard drive but the end result feels tacky - like it's been ripped from a dvd, in fact. There is no cover image and extra's have to be saved seperately (or a lot of effort made to sew them together). Is there anywhere on the planet that I can legitimately download film and television which I can save on a conventional pc or external hard drive in a user friendly manner which will allow me to savour my old DVD collection with pride?

aquatarkus 14:00 23 Mar 2014

Hi there

Think your best bet at the moment would be to rip your DVD collection to a hard drive using something like MakeMKV, or one of the other DVD / blue ray rippers that are available.

Then use something like Mediabrowser3 www.mediabrowser3.com XBMC www.xbmc.org Mediaportal click here of these will then using their built in plugins or add-ons be able to automatically download cover images, actor images, director images hd backdrops etc.

Have a look at the 3 above to get an idea of what can be achieved. Media portal and XBMC can take a while to set up exactly how you want but when set up and configured very impressive.

Regards Aquatarkus

any

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

There’s more to Finnish artist Tove Jansson than creating the Moomins

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder la Coupe du monde de rugby à XIII en direct ?