Home Theatre System issue with Xbox 360

Menzie 13:02 28 Jan 2014

I have a recently purchased Onkyo 660 Home theatre system (HT-S3500). Everything is set up now and I absolutely love the sound quality however not everything has been brilliant.

First time I set it up my cable box worked however now it's not saying that the HDMI copy protection system has failed to initialise. I've connected this directly to the TV and am using an optical connection, not as neat but it solves that problem.

At the moment my Wii U, WD Play and Xbox 360 are connected. The surround sound works on all of them, however the Xbox will only display in 720p. If I set it any higher it results in the screen flickering every few seconds.

The Wii U (connected to the game port) is perfect at 1080p, the WD Play (connected to the VCR/DVD) port is also fine at 1080p.

The 360 is connected to the Blu Ray/DVD port, I have tried different cables and the result is the same.

Any suggestions to get this working at 1080p? Anybody had a similar issue with an Onkyo receiver? If you've had that issue with any other brands what did you do to solve it?

Menzie 18:17 28 Jan 2014

I'll try a different port tonight and see if there is any difference.

Menzie 02:50 29 Jan 2014

Found the issue! I tried the Wii U's port on the receiver and the problem was the same. I then tried using the Wii U HDMI cable and it was perfect.

Connected the 360 back to the original port with the Wii U HDMI cable and it was still perfect. Quick trip to my wires box in the basement and I had a different HDMI cable hooking up the Xbox.

Now the 360 is running at 1080p in surround sound.

This one is solved.

Menzie 12:08 29 Jan 2014

I'm happy that it wasn't an HDMI board failure and a bad cable instead.

This is my first Onkyo and receiver in general. I upgraded from a Philips all in one home theatre which was good but had limited input options.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?